M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While going through my m14 parts I came across two slings I forgot about. One resembles the current issued OD green sling, the other for lack of a better term resembles seat belt material. Are either correct for the M14?

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
While going through my m14 parts I came across two slings I forgot about. One resembles the current issued OD green sling, the other for lack of a better term resembles seat belt material. Are either correct for the M14?
Both are correct the cotton sling is the better material, the seat belt material slings are known too slip under pressure.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Both are correct the cotton sling is the better material, the seat belt material slings are known too slip under pressure.
I love the seat belt material ones. Use them a bit and they wont slip. They just seem to do that when new.

The seat belt one was issued well into the M16 era, but it undoubtedly found use on the remaining M14s and M1s

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are the cotton ones getting harder to find? I last looked at them a year ago and you could get either for $10 or so. Now all I see are the nylon or $30 cottons. Is there a good source for these?

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
The nylon "seat belt" slings 1st contract was 1969,,so it's only historically correct for 1969 and later. Info is from Bill Ricca. For pre 1969 the cotton canvas M1 sling is correct

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have several of the cotton ones with good to excellent hardware. But they have a club name marked on them. Let's hear if there is anyway to remove without damage.? Anyone?
I would let one go. Just be warned of the magic marker

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
DaMoose, you are missing the black M1 style sling. Don't worry, I have all the rifle slings issued from WW2 thru present except the black Cordura Nylon M1 style sling. Stay on the look out for one in that is similar to the current black silent sling except it will have the metal tip, tabbed buckle and J hook on it. It will look exactly like the green web type. I haven't seen one since 1991, it may be a USMC only thing. Do you have both lengths of the black silent sling?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts