1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
It’s not even a SEAL in the picture. :LOL:

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,889 Posts
I had thought that all branches and units had moved on from mthe M-14 in any configuration to other platforms, in other calibers.

With the adoption of the M-5 (formerly the NGSW) by the Army, any M-14s still in service with some niche of US forces should be mothballed by 2025. I am guessing that will also apply to the 7.62x51 NATO cartridge.

I am not an active shooter and have no real experience with the M-14/M1A,but I was confused by the claims by Big Army on the one hand, that the M-14 was dropped as a sniper platform due to difficulty in keeping them tuned-up in the field, yet they were adopted as DMR rifles for a while. The M-5 will eliminate that too I think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That inspection video brings back a lot of memories. God help you if you had a weapon with grease and/or oil anywhere. And if you failed to make a clean release of the weapon to the inspecting officer you were pretty much done for right there. We used to practice so that the rifle was dangling in mid air as the inspector's hand was coming up and ours were going down. That was a fun exercise. If everything else was perfect including starched fatigues with no fins you might escape guard duty.

·
Registered
LRB M14 SA, Criterion Med Wt CL Barrel, all GI parts with basic upgrades.
326 Posts
I had thought that all branches and units had moved on from mthe M-14 in any configuration to other platforms, in other calibers.

With the adoption of the M-5 (formerly the NGSW) by the Army, any M-14s still in service with some niche of US forces should be mothballed by 2025. I am guessing that will also apply to the 7.62x51 NATO cartridge.

I am not an active shooter and have no real experience with the M-14/M1A,but I was confused by the claims by Big Army on the one hand, that the M-14 was dropped as a sniper platform due to difficulty in keeping them tuned-up in the field, yet they were adopted as DMR rifles for a while. The M-5 will eliminate that too I think.
Not to hijack a bread, but the NGSW/M5 is going to flop and here is why. Let’s build an eight. 5 to 9 pound service rifle that fire is a full bore cartridge, his piston operated, and holds 20 rounds. Sound familiar? Every reason they got rid of the M 14 is why they are choosing the M5. Just to pose a prediction; a conflict arises within the next five years before the M5 is fully fielded, Poor supply chains lack the ability to fulfill 6.8 X 51 ammo requirements and most soldiers immediately regress to their M4. The SDM‘s grab whatever high-power rifle they can find in readily available NATO calibers. Several mark 14s and a complement of M 80 A1 ammo is rushed into service.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,889 Posts
Yeah, I get all that. I had the same thoughts about the NSGW program while it was still a three-way competition. Your five years out scenario is valid, I think. But I understood that the Army had gotten several newer 7.6x51 chambered guns based nominally on the AR platform or another piston driven system already.

That Big Army has committed billions of dollars to move this concept forward may make the program too big to fail, somewhat like the F-35. The goal I have read, is to completely replace the 7.62 NATO cartridge across the board with conversion kits for the M-240 family of co-axial MGs. The M-4 carbine will be retained for support or rear Eschelon troops. That is the gun not going away.

Even with a general conflict within the next five years (2027-ish), I do not see the M-14 coming back. There are other guns in that class already in service and in production.

General Patton famously praised the M-1 Garand as the best rifle of WW-II. It was too . . . for W-II. However, by the 1950s there were other, more effective battle rifles in service around the world. The M-14 was one of them. It is my judgement that the same is now true for the M-14. Many love and cherish it. That is why this forum exists. Yet moving forward in the 21st Century, there are and will be other rifles that superweed the M-14 in performance and usage.

·
Registered
LRB M14 SA, Criterion Med Wt CL Barrel, all GI parts with basic upgrades.
326 Posts
What Seal team is still using M(K)14s? lol
Probably the one Charlie Sheen and Michael Behan are on! 🤣 Last M(k)14 I saw in action was in Iraq in ‘08 when I was in the 82nd. My current Engineer company doesn’t even know such a rifle exists. I showed them pictures of mine, even in my “updated” Vltor stock and I got “that’s cool, what is it?”

1 - 20 of 39 Posts