M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first M14 rifle at auction and I would like get some info about it. The auction listed all the parts on the gun but I'm not sure what to make of it all. If you could tell me what I have I would appreciate it. I had also given thought to sending it to Smith Ent. for an upgrade if needed.

Below is a link to the auction and description.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/53/lid/1798

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
I cant tell you if you paid a fair price for the rifle. I am not sure how the SEI full autos compare in price to the real deal M14 full autos. Considering it is not a GI receiver you have to weigh the odds for yourself. However a full auto M14 will fetch a high price. It seems as though all the parts listed are authentic USGI parts to include the barrel. Pretty sure the stock is a birch E2 stock. I am pretty sure from the description everything is GI. The fact that it is in the E2 configuration, in my personal opinion unless its an original it should not fetch a higher price. If your patient, an E2 stock and M2 boipod can be found and had for a decent price. A high end for E2 stock, M2 pod and GI stabilizer would be around 1000-1100 bones if they are all in mint condition and all the small parts are there. As far as the rifle goes, your paying for the receiver. Most of the parts listed in the package can be found on the market today as well. A mint GI kit if purchased individually can be had for approx 1000-1500 bones. I am not really sure of the value of the sac barrel but they are no selling cheap. So what it comes down to is the receiver with the fun switch and the ability to transfer it to an individual. If I had the coin and lived in the right part of the country in the free world I would have one myself. Be sure to shoot milsurp from the rifle, it looks to be chambered for 7.62 NATO ammo. So it looks to me that what you have there is an all GI rifle except the receiver. The early receivers were good to go. Congrats and when you get it please post up a video of you shooting with the fun switch in the fun position.
PS welcome to the forum! Talk about a grand entrance.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
No additions necessary...

1. Shoot it...lots
2. Buy more ammo, repeat #1.
3. Get a hold of Smith and ask them about the history of the rifle, see what they have to say.

Here's a quote from Lee Emerson's "M14 Rifle History and Development."

"Smith Enterprise also made a single batch of billet machined select fire receivers before the May 19, 1986 civilian machine gun ban. These select fire receivers were registered under the National Firearms Act and then sold in late 1985 to a Class 3 Special Occupational Tax Federal Firearms Licensee in Oregon. All select fire Smith Enterprise models were machined from billet but lack the FORGED USA marking."

Do your research and document your purchase. Never know when selling it may gain more due to history. Different's book has tons more info...consider buying it.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from NorCal. Second, you make a dramatic entrance. It looks like a great rifle and I have read a couple of reports from owners who could not be happier.

You have to share with those of us who cannot partake for all of the obvious reasons. Thanks for bringing both the rifle and yourself to the mix here.GITEN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses and warm welcome. I have always liked the M14 and when one came available at a good price I jumped on it. I spoke with Ron Smith last week about this rifle and as soon as I get it I will visit his shop and see what my options are.

Thanks to BDH for info on Emerson's book. I just downloaded it and am looking forward to reading it.

I do like the classic look of the 60's M14 but the Smith Ent. M-14SE “Crazy Horse” SDM is catching my attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.