M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i would like to buy a M14 military receiver from Harrigton and Richardson never mounted never used with o or 0 marked with electric pencil just beside the original serial number.do you know why this o or 0?Thank you

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think that ATF will really complicate that if you are buying from a source in the USA.

You would have better luck in Europe probably!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry there is only one the second is a Springfield M1A never mounted with a metal plate welded at the rear of the receiver i think for recoild.But it is not a clean work

·
Registered
735 Posts
i would like to buy a M14 military receiver from Harrigton and Richardson never mounted never used with o or 0 marked with electric pencil just beside the original serial number.do you know why this o or 0?Thank you
Where is the O or 0 located? Before the serial number? The attached picture shows two markings that appear fairly commonly, usually not on the same receiver.

The O-69 is a rebuild marking used on rifles rebuilt for the Marine Corps. The "O" stands for overhaul, followed by the year.

I have heard that the "0" in front of the serial number was used by the Israeli's to indicate that the sights had been "zeroed" on the rifle. I haven't seen documentation of that though.

Cass

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The link you were provided has no relation to the H&R of old.

I looked thru Different's Book of the M14 and find no reference to the electropenciled 0. He may chime in here.

It's very unlikely you will ever find a USGI receiver that has never been mounted. There may be someone out there with one but getting it to France may be an issue. Your European contacts would be of more help.

Good luck,

Bruce

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
could the "plate" welded to the SAI be a rear lug? it is put there for bedded match type rifles so the bedding last longer and is more stable

·
Registered
161 Posts
I sent email to Different about 4 weeks ago, since I got quite interesting offer from TRW made receiver (this receiver is from Israel and it has also "D" or "0" engraving on the left side of serial number) and this is what mr. Emerson replied to me:

"Olavirta,

There is no proof stamp on the receiver itself. The "D" or "O" means the rifle was rebuilt at an Army or Marine Corps depot at some point in its life.

Lee"

·
Registered
735 Posts
I thought I remembered posting something previously on the O-69 type markings. I found the old post from 2007. Times flies when you're having fun, ha! Here is a link:

http://m14forum.com/m14/42738-few-m14-pictures.html

The pictures are gone from the old post, but I still have them on my hard drive. The one pictured above is the TRW mentioned.

I think that the "0" is there for a different purpose. I found the source I had remembered - John R from Vancouver who had seen thousands of the receivers left over from the parts kits that SAI had imported from Israel. He indicated that: "You will see the"O" electro penciled on the "heel". The Israeli armourers zero ALL their issue rifles using a laser bore sighting scope and once they have done this electro pencil the "O" on the receiver to show that the sights are zeroed."

Cass

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where is the O or 0 located? Before the serial number? The attached picture shows two markings that appear fairly commonly, usually not on the same receiver.

The O-69 is a rebuild marking used on rifles rebuilt for the Marine Corps. The "O" stands for overhaul, followed by the year.

I have heard that the "0" in front of the serial number was used by the Israeli's to indicate that the sights had been "zeroed" on the rifle. I haven't seen documentation of that though.

Cass
Thank you to alls for your reply yes it is the same 0 electro pencil in your photo but the problem this receiver is never mounted and empty no sight no bolt stop only the receiver?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts