M14 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
It they had done a better job of building those things I may have bought a couple, but I could never settle for half…!

Oh, and the point of this thread is machining, after they have been sandblasted and reparkerized they no longer exhibit Winchester characteristics, which again is the point of this thread.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
Ren you are correct,the workmanship on them was sub par as far as the couple dozen ive seen personally,the welding usually had pin holes left in them ,the underside of the bolt track and sides was terribly cleaned up and they didnt repark them,they either had a duracoated or cerakoted sprayed on finish to hide the welds as it would show through if just parked.On a side note the last one i had here in the shop for a build was again not so great,the back of the heel was on a downward angle compared to the front half and slightly canted to the right.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Oh for Pete's sake. My post was about the originals an my like of them all having been issued one of each in the '60s, nothing whatsoever to do with JRA's part.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Art,not bashing your 4 receivers at all,hope yours where better than most,in the end all that matters is if you like them.
Thanks.Not a problem at all. Your post was from an honest interest. I ended up with 8 total re-heeled Bula/JRA receivers. Only one that showed any pot holes in the weld was my first version #1 Winchester. Have over 2K through that one now and still working. The others, after they switched to a jig and replacing the heel aft of the rear sight on an un-heatreated donor receiver all look great. I have always been one to looks more at the utilitarian value than the cosmetics. Guess that comes from being an avid shooter and not an inspector. Whatta Hobby!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts