M14 Forum banner

M14 receiver heel bookends?

583 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  gillmeister692
Morning guys,

I was thinking of buying a 4-manufacturer set of de-milled M14 receiver heels to make bookends (with some walnut) for my gun books. Just want to use the actual receiver heels with the nomenclature.

If I took the receiver halves (with jagged, irregular middle bits) to a machine shop, is it easy enough to cut and mill them down smooth, say just in front of the receiver heel, where the back of the rear sight cover snaps in?

I know nothing of metallurgy - just wondering if it would be a problem for a machine shop. Of course, clearly it wasn't a problem for the govt and their big disk grinders, or whatever they used to chop these things up.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Regards,
DeWayne
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
22,427 Posts
What a great idea. Should not be a problem for a shop with the right equipment as you are not concerned with changing the hardness on you project. Whatta Hobby!

· Registered
213 Posts
Morning guys,

I was thinking of buying a 4-manufacturer set of de-milled M14 receiver heels to make bookends (with some walnut) for my gun books. Just want to use the actual receiver heels with the nomenclature.

If I took the receiver halves (with jagged, irregular middle bits) to a machine shop, is it easy enough to cut and mill them down smooth, say just in front of the receiver heel, where the back of the rear sight cover snaps in?

I know nothing of metallurgy - just wondering if it would be a problem for a machine shop. Of course, clearly it wasn't a problem for the govt and their big disk grinders, or whatever they used to chop these things up.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Regards,
DeWayne

· Registered
213 Posts
A few years ago, I did a project with a front half of a M1 receiver. I wanted it cut just aft of the threads. The machine shop a guy at my church was a supervisor took on the task. I was told they tried to cut the receiver with no luck, but were able to grind it down to where I wanted it. Not sure if the machine shop had the adequate cutting tools or not. I got what I needed so... Good luck with your project!

· Registered
3,609 Posts
Getting a machine shop involved is going to be expensive. At the most a weld/fab shop or consider figuring out how to do it yourself. I think its a great idea and never wanted any of those cut up receiver parts before, but may change my mind.

· Premium Member
22,427 Posts
Great info - thanks, guys.

Yeah, let's be honest - the receiver heel is the coolest part of the receiver! Might as well preserve them if we can.
That is exactly why I bought a bunch of the USGI heeled Bula receivers done by JRA a few years ago. Preservation of artifacts from a bygone era. Whatta Hobby!

· Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,903 Posts
For what a machine shop is going to charge you could probably go to Home depot/Lowes and but a Dewalt 5" right angle grinder and some cut off wheels and a flap disc and do the job your self and still buy lunch.

eQ

· Registered
9,836 Posts
That is a great idea, I have lots of military reference books which would look fantastic framed by these pieces of M14 history.
Could you please give us your thoughts ie…..how you plan to make bookends with them?

Thanks!
MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!
REN

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a great idea, I have lots of military reference books which would look fantastic framed by these pieces of M14 history.
Could you please give us your thoughts ie…..how you plan to make bookends with them?

Thanks!
MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!
REN
Well, you're attributing way more "thought" to my idea than is probably warranted! But I was just thinking you could do it very simply by making a couple bookends like shown in the picture, and instead of the baby shoes shown, attach two receiver heels per bookend, so two on each end. Depending on where you cut them off, you could have them extending outward from the vertical piece, but the cut has to be clean and smooth and identical on each piece.

I would just probably want the receiver heels, so it wouldn't jump out at you unless you were really looking at the book ends and saw what they were - but I don't really want to have empty rear sight bases showing (or then I'm tempted to fill them with rear sights, which is a waste and expensive x4), although it would look cool.

Brown Wood Rectangle Shelving Wood stain

· Registered
119 Posts
Well, you're attributing way more "thought" to my idea than is probably warranted! But I was just thinking you could do it very simply by making a couple bookends like shown in the picture, and instead of the baby shoes shown, attach two receiver heels per bookend, so two on each end. Depending on where you cut them off, you could have them extending outward from the vertical piece, but the cut has to be clean and smooth and identical on each piece.

I would just probably want the receiver heels, so it wouldn't jump out at you unless you were really looking at the book ends and saw what they were - but I don't really want to have empty rear sight bases showing (or then I'm tempted to fill them with rear sights, which is a waste and expensive x4), although it would look cool.

View attachment 505016
Condensed books. Arrgghhhh !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts