M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha Everyone...

JD brought up a question that is interesting because folks often wonder, "why is my receiver not sitting flush with the stock"... well, it would depend on the type of receiver and type of stock... I only have 4 different types of receivers to show examples of with some different stocks but I think you will see some pretty interesting things... I apologize for the amount of pictures that are posted here, but I wanted to everyone to see what I saw...

The PolyTech M14S has a receiver base with NO "step"...

The Devine and Older SA Inc. receivers have a "step" towards the rear near the heel of the receiver.

The Armscorp and current SA Inc. receivers have a "step" almost in line with the back of the receiver leg (op rod handle side)...

Stocks make a difference as well on how "flat" the receiver will sit. This is a USGI stock in synthetic.

This is a Custom wood stock. The cut step is obviously for a current SA Inc. type receiver.

This stock is a USGI stock with NO cut step in the top of the receiver.

I imagine that there are many, many other variations, but this is interesting to see... and definitely why some receivers don't sit "flat" to the receiver.

If it affects you, then obviously minor modifications can be made to correct this and to make the receiver flush to the stock...

NOTE: While researching bedding techniques, I ran across information that is also interesting. According to many GunSmiths, there should be very small gap between the stock and receiver from the rear of the receiver legs to the beginning of the heel of the receiver... That is normal and desired in receiver/stock contact. It made sense on how the receiver actually leverages into the stock and is locked in with the trigger group unlike a bolt or other type rifle.

I hope this picture project was helpful...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Excellent points brought out Tom ...

Kinda puts things into perspectives here with this question .... :wink:

Good read ... :D

Six

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
When I get a chance, I will take a couple pics of My Smith Ltd for comparrison. Haven't looked at it yet to see if there was a step or not. Mighty fine post there Tomodachi :D

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Awsome post Tom!!!

Leave it to you to catch these differences :) I love your comparison pics.

Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just a quick tidbit, I went and looked at a couple H&R rear halves, they don’t seem to have any step, they do have that pesky selector lug though.

Best Regards, T

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aloha T:

Do you think you could post a pic of the receiver half? I have never seen a cut receiver. Thanks in advance...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tom,

I'll see what I can do, I'm somewhat new to hosting pics, worst case I'll just e-mail them to you.

Best Regards, T

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tom, as soon as I can get to the camera I’ll e-mail them to you, that would probably be the quickest and easiest way to get it done, otherwise were all gonna wait while I fool around trying to get them up. I was also looking at one of my Norincos and it appears the same as your PolyTech, no step. I’ll get the pics to you as soon as I can.

Best Regards, T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts