M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering with the amount of M14 rifles produced by each manufacturer, are any one manufacturers parts more scarce than another's? Are Springfield Armory's parts harder to find since they produced the fewest complete rifles?

·
Registered
13,103 Posts
I don't know if there is a direct correlation between the number of complete rifles made by each manufacturer and the number of spare parts made by each manufacturer.

Sometimes it is specified on the initial contract, sometimes years afterwards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the other thing I was wondering about. The amount of new in wrap spare parts that keep showing up seem to be TRW. It would be interesting to know who made the most spare parts.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I'd like to know what new in wrap TRW parts you are talking about, aside from new TRW bolts there is nothing out there and I look every where. I have had new in wrap parts from SA and Winchester, and have seen H&R new in wrap parts but not TRW.

The reason you see TRW bolts is because they were give a spare parts contract. I have been looking for NIW TRW trigger housings, gas cylinders, op-rods, barrels, nothing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, there is that guy on gunbroker selling a case of new in tube gas cylinders for a grand...

Edit: those are winchester though.. Not TRW.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,302 Posts
My theory is that TRW did not manufacture replacement parts with the exception of the bolt. In the almost 40 years I've been working on M14 rifles I have handled thousands of NIW parts and never seen anything from TRW other than bolts and the TRW bolt is the most common replacement on the market. I've never handled a TRW marked magazine. I had the pleasure of unpacking three new TRW NM rifles and the magazines shipped with them were Borg-Warner as I recall. That was back in 1978 so it's a stretch to recall it, but they definitely were not TRW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts