M14 Forum banner

M14 or M1

1275 8
Why is the M14 so much more expensive then the M1, since they are both the same style rifle. And can you tell me why the M14 is better for competion shooting then the M1. Thanks for all the replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I assume you mean prices in todays market.

That is easy, you can buy a real M1 from CMP for as little as $295, 6 million were made and since they were semiauto we can buy them.

M14 clones have to use a commercial receiver at a cost of at least $450 alone. Add to that the lack of USGI parts and the fact that far fewer M14 were ever made and you get higher prices.

As for accuracy I think it has more to do with the lighter recoil of the 7.62. This is also one reason the AR15 now dominates the highpower scene.

Having said that a full blown match AR, M14, or M1 are all expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx GeoffM24. I have been wondering the price difference between the two for a long time. I am wanting to get an M14 from Fulton for competion, but could not understand the price difference between the two.

·
Registered
168 Posts
"...or...."

HERESY

·
Registered
26 Posts
matrix8 said:
Why is the M14 so much more expensive then the M1, since they are both the same style rifle. And can you tell me why the M14 is better for competion shooting then the M1. Thanks for all the replies.
Geoff covered the price difference.

Personally,I like the M1 better for competition shooting.My support hand rests naturally where the mag is on the M1A.To me,The recoil is the same-no real difference.I would recommend a Garand to start with.Plus there is the history aspect of the M1 to consider!

Like Delloro said-get one of each :mrgreen:

·
Banned
11,516 Posts
carguym14 said:
I would recommend a Garand to start with.Plus there is the history aspect of the M1 to consider!
NOW HEAR THIS>>>>>NOW HEAR THIS>>>>>MAN YOUR BATTLESTATIONS>>>> PASS OUT THE RIOT GEAR AND SHARPSHOOTERS TO THE ROOFTOPS>>>>> PREPARE TO REPELL BOARDERS

STAND DOWN>>>> THIS HAS BEEN A GROUP READINESS EXERCISE >>>>I REPEAT>>> THIS HAS BEEN A GROUP READINESS EXERCISE

Whew, had me scared there for a second. Thought someone came on a M-14 forum and reccommended a M1 Garand over a M-14 :wink: I see he also said to get one of each :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I have read, with the M1 it is harder maintain the accuracy of a match rifle. This is due to the larger amount of wood and metal that is hanging on the end of the barrel, the handguard and gas cylinder. This contributes to a quicker breakdown of the rifle's bedding.

·
Registered
277 Posts
GeoffM24 said:
That is easy, you can buy a real M1 from CMP for as little as $295, 6 million were made and since they were semiauto we can buy them.
Actually, the serial numbers go up to a bit over 6,000,000 but because of gaps in serial number ranges, the real number of garands produced is something like 4.5 million. Of course, only a very small percentage of these ended up being surplused to us regular folks, somewhere in the neighborhood of .5 million or so (and counting). :mrgreen:

If you look at the cost of a "new" production garand from SA Inc. it is just about the same as buying a standard grade M1A. It's for this reason that I don;t think that they are over priced in comparison. If the CMP could have sold the M14, I would have thought that they would be offering them in the 500 to 700 dollar range, depending on grade and demand.

It;s just like everything else, if the market is flooded, then prices go down. If garands were not available from the CMP, I believe that they would be sold in the 1000 dollar range also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.