M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USN1
After posting the question; Where Did All The Parts Go? The clarification of question is wheather or not the post 60's era S.A. production models are considered to be USGI?

What distinguishes USGI original from new "USGI Spec"?

Am I to understand that in order to have a true USGI M14 that the only build to satisfy that standard is to use used parts or, what few and very expensive new-old stock parts can be found that are USGI?

I've done some creative googles as well as going to some small local collectors, flea markets, and traders. (keep in mind that I've been researching for quite a while now) I've found some major parts for very good prices as well as an obscure web site that has what is stated to be USGI, excellent condition-new in original packaging at prices that seem fraudulent. The "guy" speaks with a far eastern accent but said he's willing to ship C.O.D. The problem is that I don't know how to tell if parts such as trigger group, gas system, and op rod are actually USGI. Suspect chi-com or korean knock-offs.

I can tell the difference between a cheap casting v.s. a forged and machined part or re-weld, but that's about the extent of my ability.

How do ya really Know??

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
True USGI M14s were originally built as fully automatic select-fire weapons, but most in service today have had their selectors welded.

The receiver IS the rifle... so if you want a USGI M14 you will have to pay about $14,000 and go through the BATFE red tape and pay a $200 tax for a NFA weapon.

Post 60's SA, Inc (commercial) receivers are not USGI, if that's what your'e asking. Though the early ones built by SAI had many or all GI parts (other than the receiver).

As for whether "USGI spec" is the same as "original USGI"... well the answer to that one would seem obvious to me. NO...

Unless I'm misunderstanding your questions.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think the gist of the question got lost...

The question, as I understood it, is not whether or not there IS a difference between "USGI parts" and "USGI spec parts". There is.

The question seemed to me more about "How does one tell the difference between the two?" For example, having a photo of "Part A" and a photo of another "Part A"; how does one distinguish between which one is really USGI original and which one is an aftermarket "USGI spec" part? Or IS there a way to tell by looking at a part, if it is a correct USGI original part or not? I *think* that was more of the original poster's question, perhaps. I'm sure he can correct me if I am mistaken.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
USN1
After posting the question; Where Did All The Parts Go? The clarification of question is wheather or not the post 60's era S.A. production models are considered to be USGI?

What distinguishes USGI original from new "USGI Spec"?

Am I to understand that in order to have a true USGI M14 that the only build to satisfy that standard is to use used parts or, what few and very expensive new-old stock parts can be found that are USGI?

I've done some creative googles as well as going to some small local collectors, flea markets, and traders. (keep in mind that I've been researching for quite a while now) I've found some major parts for very good prices as well as an obscure web site that has what is stated to be USGI, excellent condition-new in original packaging at prices that seem fraudulent. The "guy" speaks with a far eastern accent but said he's willing to ship C.O.D. The problem is that I don't know how to tell if parts such as trigger group, gas system, and op rod are actually USGI. Suspect chi-com or korean knock-offs.

I can tell the difference between a cheap casting v.s. a forged and machined part or re-weld, but that's about the extent of my ability.

How do ya really Know??
This may sound bad, but a far east accent means I'd walk!
I think your real question is how do you tell if a part is authentic or not, not just a receiver. Anything can be counterfeited, I think you're asking a really good question. From what I've read here buying your parts from RA Parts (one of the forum sponsors) is your best insurance. As for comparing gas cylinders for example you need someone much better than me.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I think the gist of your question can be answered with a simple "buyer beware". We are a relatively small market, however, the price of the parts we are looking for does make them subject to counterfeiting. I have been burned before by simply not paying attention to the simple adage that if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Authentic GI parts are getting harder, but not impossible, to find.

By researching on this forum you can educate yourself on what to watch for and make intelligent decisions based on research. You will also find that on the PX section parts come up often and usually at reasonable prices. I have found the sellers here seem to care for the sport and are quite fair in pricing. Good luck. You'll find the end result is worth all of the headaches.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Allow me to add a comment about what RET DEP said:

The majority of those on this forum are good men and that applies to the PX, BX, etc. The majority of those that have sold me parts delivered as good or better than what was in their ad. Unfortunately, as in any group there are those lacking proper ethics that have no qualms about selling total junk to the less wary. Buyer beware.

Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
M14 Or Bust!!! USGI Or Cheap Immitations, How Do Ya Know

USN1
Ok. You A.H.'s keep sending me back to the books. So I went back and read the history of theM14/ M1A for the umpteenth time, as well as busted a couple other sites.

As I understand, any post "69" m1A is a S.A. commercial model. Many were made with USGI parts. Some receivers/complete rifles that are floating around have the drop forged receivers that are suitable for full auto fire and these are the only true USGI M14's. So.....(Brain Smoking)... If a receiver is advertised as USGI then It has to b a real M14 select fire. There are no true after-market USGI receivers only USGI "spec" receivers, Got That..

But for the rest of the parts that comprise what we refer to as a m14 (semi-auto), how does one distinguish USGI parts from the rest?

My thoughts are muddled and my brain is mush. I feel like a boot.
Why are you smilling recruit!? So......you think I'm a funny man eh..!? Drop and give me 50!! 1.2.3....10 Start over! 1..2..3....50!!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Usually the smell. USGI parts have a distinct oder about them. Kind of an earthy, nutty, cirgar smoke type of smell.

Either that or I need to stop smoking Rocky Patel's while I'm sorting parts....

Don't get hung out to dry bro, a good commercial op rod is way better than a "USGI" that is out of spec and reparked to look like new. Same for all "USGI" parts. Folks prey on buyers that just have to have them. Deal with reputable folks, stay away from internet auction sites.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Don't anguish about GI parts, unless you want to build your own rifle from a parts collection.

Try this. Go to the gun shop and ask to hold that SA Loaded rifle that they got on the wall. Remove the magazine and work the op rod action couple of times Then see if you really want to walk away from that rifle.

My point is that SA makes a fine rifle that will out shoot you and probably outlast you. And it's all a fun ride from there. It would be fun to be able to hold some other makes. But mostly you see SA in the stores.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Usually the smell. USGI parts have a distinct oder about them. Kind of an earthy, nutty, cirgar smoke type of smell.
The odor is one of the characteristics of the strong mojo possessed by USGI (and other quality) M14 type rifle parts. M14 parts are like fine art, a neophyte can easily be snookered by a counterfeit reproduction but the serious afficianado can detect the real deal USGI NOS item from a pile of fakes. Fear not, you too can acquire this esoteric knowledge. GI2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
xsop87, if you're talking about the guy in Serbia (I think it is) who sells mostly Garand parts, he's for real. I'll ask him if he has any M14 parts.

You can purchase a U.S. M14 rifle tomorrow via a Class III FFL dealer, pay the federal stamp tax, have your ownership registered and take delivery as soon as your paperwork clears. They run High $.

Urban legend has it that a very few genuine M14 rifles that had been soldered to fire semi-auto only were legally released into civilian hands (no military or law enforcement connection or "State Association loaner" restrictions) by one of the depts of the U.S. govt at or about the date of enactment of the 1968 GCA, which closed the door. I can't verify, but somebody here will know more about that.

Anything else you're likely to see on a firing line or in a American shooter's stateside collection this lifetime will be a commercial repro receiver to which some assortment of USGI parts may be attached.

Good luck and happy shooting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts