M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The US Army's first Stryker brigade in combat: armed with the M21 sniper system, CPL Daniel Dauch of Troop A [1-14 Cavalry] scans an open area in central Iraq..." (This month's cover photo) (CPL Dauch poses for a photo would be a better caption, but you get the idea.)

2ID is stationed in Korea (since 1950 or so) but only has two of its brigades there, 3d Bde (Stryker) was stationed at Fort Lewis until recently.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Roger that Cuck S I get Army Magazine also but I dident think about posting it! I am glad someone else did :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Chuck S I was with the 2nd ID in Fort Benning in 1965,
we were attached with the 11th Air Assault , colors of the 1st Cav
were transfered from Korea and the 2nd ID colors were transfered
to Korea. The Cav was reduced in size and deployed to Vietnam,
as the 7th Cav, a few of us were sent to Fort Lewis to train troops
for the 4th ID, we then deployed to Vietnam. I do think we were
the first helicopter assault unit (7th Cav)......correct me if I'm wrong.

the Department of the Army announced that the 2d Infantry Division would be reorganized at Fort Benning, Georgia, with personnel and equipment of the 10th Infantry Division returning from Germany. Fort Benning remained the home of the new 2d Infantry Division from 1958 to 1965, where they were initially assigned the mission of a training division. To improve combat readiness, in March of 1962 the 2ID was designated as a Strategic Army Corps (STRAC) unit. Following this the Division became engaged in intensified combat training, tactical training, and field training exercises, in addition to special training designed to improve operational readiness.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Roger that Chuck S When I was going thru jump school at Ft Benning in early 1963 it was still the 11th Air Assault, wearing the old 11th Abn Div Patch but I thought that most of the 2nd Div. was in Korea already? 8O

·
Registered
327 Posts
Trung Si Yes, the last of the 2nd ID in Benning was mid '65, that
was the big black patch, star in center w/Indian, I think the 11th was
a winged blue patch with an 11 in it's center, been a long time, trying
to recall this.....correct me if I'm making an error, then all was changed
to the yellow horse head.......traded all of that for the 4th ID. Gezzz,
war is hell.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the revised data on 2ID.

You guys must be much older than me. :roll:

Xray (1-7CAV) and Albany (2-7CAV) (both were pure infantry units at that time despite their historical designation) were November '65 so 1CD (formerly 11AAD) was long gone by the time I made my famous entry onto Fort Benning in Mar 67 where I got two more qualifications as expert with the M14. We used their old 11 Air Assault airfield out by Harmony Church many times. That whole area was stripped of forest a few years ago and is an new growth. My 1967 map (and a good GPS) let me find most places two summers ago. Finding your old barracks foundation overgrown with trees is an aging episode!

I stood on both Xray and Albany in 1969 and it was very spooky. Never knew all the details of either until I read Joe Galloway's book and drank several beers with some of the principles about 10 years ago at West Point.

-- Chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.