M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to have a smith bed my SAI M1A Loaded. I want to get a heavy stock NM stock I am thinking about either a big red stock (on treeline or GB) or a fajen stock (unfinished one on treeline). Can a non-rear-lugged received be bedded in a fajen stock? I know the fajen stocks are thickest available and read one thread where one person barely passed a regulation check at a match. Has anyone had problems with CMP or NRA rules with a fajen stocks?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes a non lugged gun can be put in a lugged cut stock. The Fajen is a giant piece of wood and the cut out isn’t so big that it will make it weak.
My Fajen passes All the measurements required but was thinking about sanding just a bit in the critical areas just so added finish doesn’t make it to thick. Did I mention it’s a giant piece of wood?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tgilkey, Thanks for the gouge! How do you like shooting your M14 in the Fajen? Is it more steady and accurate than a USGI stock?

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
The Fajen stock is basically a railroad tie that is inletted for a rifle. They work very well, but they are not for everyone. Kinda like F-Class.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes a non lugged gun can be put in a lugged cut stock. The Fajen is a giant piece of wood and the cut out isn’t so big that it will make it weak.
My Fajen passes All the measurements required but was thinking about sanding just a bit in the critical areas just so added finish doesn’t make it to thick. Did I mention it’s a giant piece of wood?
Haven’t put mine to use yet. Wish I had more to offer but I’m still in the process of putting her together. Gonna be a bit before I have a range report. Here is the difference between a GI M1 and the Fajen

·
Registered
83 Posts
tgilkey, Thanks for the gouge! How do you like shooting your M14 in the Fajen? Is it more steady and accurate than a USGI stock?
I clicked the wrong icon but you can see the above picture as a comparison, wrist isn’t too bad but is larger. Body is way bigger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I’ve got smaller hands...doesn’t seem like it should affect me that much since the wrist is just a tad bigger than the USGI. How does one refinish this from new? Should I use Tung, BLO, or something else. Should I leave the inside of stock alone since I have read that oils can affect bedding...or do I need to stain it?

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
I would bed it first.

If you find a walnut one, just keep soaking it with Teak Oil until it can't absorb any more.

Most are Beechwood. These are very light in color and may visually benefit from a stain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haven’t put mine to use yet. Wish I had more to offer but I’m still in the process of putting her together. Gonna be a bit before I have a range report. Here is the difference between a GI M1 and the Fajen
Thanks! I’ve got smaller hands...doesn’t seem like it should affect me that much since the wrist is just a tad bigger than the USGI. How does one refinish this from new? Should I use Tung, BLO, or something else. Should I leave the inside of stock alone since I have read that oils can affect bedding...or do I need to stain it?
here is a apples to oranges comparison of my two M1’s. Top is fajen laminate by Don McCoy, bottom is Dupage done by me, I have pretty fat fingers and the Dupage fits a bit better but I do like that big McCoy. This may give you a better idea of wrist size.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would bed it first.

If you find a walnut one, just keep soaking it with Teak Oil until it can't absorb any more.

Most are Beechwood. These are very light in color and may visually benefit from a stain.
So, I should bed Rifle before staining and oiling?

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
So, I should bed Rifle before staining and oiling?
I would. Let the bedding compound adhere to the natural wood.
Sure, you can just do the outside now and the inside afterwards, but it's more uniform if you stain or oil all at once. No chance of ending up with different shades.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts