M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been lurking on the site for awhile and decided to take the plunge...both on the forum and the purchase of an M14.

I live in Oklahoma City and plan to go to the Tulsa Gun show this coming weekend to see if I can find a new (or near new) standard M14. I'm assuming I can buy one for less than $1400, hopefully a few hundred less. From trolling on here I've learned (I think) to get a USGI magazine or two if I can.

I've decided on the standard Springfield, composite stock, because I'm new to this world (only ever shot the M16/M4 in the service) and figure I can upgrade it if I really get the disease. :)

My question is, and be gentle, would there be any limitations I would incur buying a standard M14, something I couldn't later change out/upgrade? My limited knowledge and snooping on here tells me no, but just wanted to consult the institutional knowledge.

And any Tulsa show veterans? Good place to buy an M14?

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. I can echo the fact of never shooting an M14 in the military (M9, M4, M249, M240, M203, Mk19, M107, M870, and M2 though). As for getting a springfield standard, great choice. With that platform you have nearly unlimited, well as far as you paycheck can go, possibilities for modification.
Personally, I have a Norinco M305 M14 Sporter I bought for $800 on my 18th birthday (mowed a lot of lawns and worked a lot of overtime and McD's to get her!) and it takes a bit more work to modify since it's built with metric standards but I like working with my hands and like a good challenge.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,124 Posts
Research, still the best game in town......

Welcome on board SunnyInOKC, post often and enjoy the site. I go to the big Tulsa Gun Show every April, with my son and grandson, we spend hours walking through the 11 acres of people and tables. Check out my posting on the Tulsa Gun Show reviews down below in the Gun Show forum.

http://m14forum.com/gun-shows/96167-tulsa-wanenmachers-gun-show-april-2nd-3rd.html

http://m14forum.com/gun-shows/68126-tulsa-wanenmachers-gun-show-april-4th-5th-2009-a.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I appreciate the welcome.

XXIV Corps: After reading your post-action report I'm no longer as confident I'll be able to find a lowly standard M14 there! Yikes. RNGR3

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. Hopefully your luck at running into a deal will be better than my recent experiences at gun shows.

I have been going to the Reno Gun Show in August for the past few years and all I have run into is highly exorbitant pricing and guys sitting behind the tables thinking you should kiss their ***** for even letting you look at their stuff. Just has not been as much fun as they used to be and I am not sure if I'll be going back.

If you do not find a deal be sure and keep an eye on the PX down below as there have been some great deals go through there in the past. The best of luck in your search and be sure and keep us posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello Sunny, I hope you found a M1A Standard at Tulsa Gun Show. I saw several there; at least one was a Standard. If you did not find one you should call Sports World in Tulsa. I believe they had one on Friday when I was in there getting advance tickets to the gun show.
I have a Standard with the camo stock and all I can say is Wow!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Glad you are on board, you will gain a lot of knowledge from this forum. Last year I picked up a choate m1a folding stock from the gun show. I had the stock painted it's nice. Also picked up a FR8 last spring's gun show.This fall showI did not see as many specials.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Welcome, the standard is where I got infected. I've been going to a;most all the gun shows in my area for years. And yes the prices are high some times but keep your eyes open. I went to the Big Reno show this passed week end and came home with some good mags that didn't cost to much. And a few months back I got an early M1-A with mostly GI parts, an extra stock three mags and a case for 800.00, no lie it happened. I have witnesses. Just keep your eyes open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.