M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking a few of my oldest friends and mentioned that I was a prepper. They all started asking questions about why and what they should do. I told them that my go to rifle was my M1A, the civilian version of the M14. One of them asked, "What the h*ll is an M14? I've never heard of it." I tried to think of a way to describe it that would make him understand. I remembered that he was a huge fan of James Bond movies. I told him that it was the George Lazenby of U. S. infantry rifles. George Lazenby, for people that aren't James Bond fans, was the first to play Bond after Sean Connery and before Roger Moore. It was meant to be an improvement of the M1 Garand, and did a pretty good job of it. But it was very short lived, because a few years later, along came the M16. It didn't have the romance and panache associated with the M1 Garand. Nor did it have the slick newness and light weight of the M16. It was just a damn fine battle rifle. And it still is a damn fine battle rifle. If it weren't, the army and Marine Corps wouldn't have brought out of retirement for use in Iraq and Afghanistan.

· Registered
3,438 Posts
I have a neighbor that moved in from out of state about a year ago. He is an Army recruiter. He came over to borrow a tool and I was cleaning guns in the garage. I showed him my M14 and M1 Garand. He asked me what they were? :oops:
( I am serious!!)

· Registered
631 Posts
I have a neighbor that moved in from out of state about a year ago. He is an Army recruiter. He came over to borrow a tool and I was cleaning guns in the garage. I showed him my M14 and M1 Garand. He asked me what they were? :oops:
( I am serious!!)
Strange, the new generation of military men dont seem to shoot much do they? I've noticed this a lot over the past few years. Back in the day all of our former soldiers, sailors, and marines were all very salty shooters. The newer vets really didnt care about firearms like their older comrades. Cant help but wonder why.

· Registered
10,140 Posts
( I am serious!!)
And there in lies the problem believing everything said by someone claiming first hand knowledge, most military personnel view weapons as tools and don’t give a rats axx about the particulars of said weapon.

Throw in the fact that when they handled said weapon, it was when they were 18 years old and that was 55 years ago. I don’t put much faith in their first hand knowledge.

REN

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

· Registered
10,140 Posts
Strange, the new generation of military men dont seem to shoot much do they? I've noticed this a lot over the past few years. Back in the day all of our former soldiers, sailors, and marines were all very salty shooters. The newer vets really didnt care about firearms like their older comrades. Cant help but wonder why.
Truth be told they are not any different than their predecessors.

REN

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

· Registered
109 Posts
I recall when the Devine M1A’s first came out and there was a bit of terminology confusion because even most gun people didn’t know about it. My buddy paid $299.99 NIB for his at our LGS and when he’d say he had an “M1A” people would correct him, “You mean you have an M-1 Garand.” or, “That’s an M-14, I KNOW because I was issued one in the Corp-how did you get one!?” or, “You have an M-1 rifle or M-1 carbine-which is it?”, or “There is no such think as an M1A”, or my favorite, “An M18!? Never heard of it!”.

· Registered
109 Posts
Well, I gotta ask, “What “new generation of military men” cuz’ hardly anybody goes into the military any more and folks who’ve actually served in a combat arms MOS are even scarcer.

· Registered
3,382 Posts
Gentlemen, even those who use firearms professionally are often not what most of us refer to as “gun guys”. They know about what they use but aren’t knowledgeable concerning the entire firearms market or even what was used in their profession before they entered the profession.

While M14’s have recently been employed in military service, they were for the most part “specialty” weapons. The knowledge base is pretty narrow.

· Registered
631 Posts
Well, I gotta ask, “What “new generation of military men” cuz’ hardly anybody goes into the military any more and folks who’ve actually served in a combat arms MOS are even scarcer.

Keep in mind I'm kinda old so I say most of the older cats were from the 90's era. Most of the newer guys as I recall, had served in probably mid 2000's generation as a guestimation. You made an extremely valid point too in my opinion. From what I've been told many times now, the military is having a rough time filling the ranks. I blame the liberals for this.

· Registered
109 Posts
Gentlemen, even those who use firearms professionally are often not what most of us refer to as “gun guys”. They know about what they use but aren’t knowledgeable concerning the entire firearms market or even what was used in their profession before they entered the profession.

While M14’s have recently been employed in military service, they were for the most part “specialty” weapons. The knowledge base is pretty narrow.
Most of the people who corrected my buddy worked in gun shops or were RSO’s.

· Registered
109 Posts
Keep in mind I'm kinda old so I say most of the older cats were from the 90's era. Most of the newer guys as I recall, had served in probably mid 2000's generation as a guestimation. You made an extremely valid point too in my opinion. From what I've been told many times now, the military is having a rough time filling the ranks. I blame the liberals for this.
Yeah, I guess its a matter of perception. When I think of “older cats” I recall the plethora of uncles I had (heavy emphasis on “had”) who served in WWII.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Not all veterans will be trained as gunsmiths - so unfair to expect all of them to know the intricacies of any weapon system. GIs are trained to fire the weapon/s and fire accurately. That is it -

They will not be connoisseurs of M14s. Unlike the people here who got to know this weapon..intimately... unfair to expect the same devotion from the run-of-the-mill GI in general. Even my younger brother who was 2nd Recon marine did knot know all the parts of the M14. I had to teach it to him..all over again. The same when I built AR15s to educate him on it. He said -we were not allowed to be disassembling the trigger clusters. And he be right- coz I was told not to be messing w/ them parts when I was in.

I was at the range test-firing an M14 civilian and one guy said it looked old - WEll, told him that this 'old rifle' will still tear his a$$ to 800 meters in any direction. Then I kindly educated him that the rifle is still very much in service protecting of his freedoms. I may have been a little rough on him - but he got the message.

Reactions: ray55classic

· Premium Member
22,917 Posts
Not all veterans will be trained as gunsmiths - so unfair to expect all of them to know the intricacies of any weapon system. GIs are trained to fire the weapon/s and fire accurately. That is it -

They will not be connoisseurs of M14s. Unlike the people here who got to know this weapon..intimately... unfair to expect the same devotion from the run-of-the-mill GI in general. Even my younger brother who was 2nd Recon marine did knot know all the parts of the M14. I had to teach it to him..all over again. The same when I built AR15s to educate him on it. He said -we were not allowed to be disassembling the trigger clusters. And he be right- coz I was told not to be messing w/ them parts when I was in.

I was at the range test-firing an M14 civilian and one guy said it looked old - WEll, told him that this 'old rifle' will still tear his a$$ to 800 meters in any direction. Then I kindly educated him that the rifle is still very much in service protecting of his freedoms. I may have been a little rough on him - but he got the message.
Interesting. Marine Corps boot camp in early 1966 when I was 17 included disassembly of the M14, trigger group and bolt and putting them back together. We took the trigger group apart and put the parts in our cover, the drill instructor would shuffle the parts around and time us on how long it would take put it back together while shouting move it private, charlie is coming to cut your balls off it you don't get it moving. Same with the bolt and parts. Surprising how simple a device the M14 is when you have proper training. Guess it was because our NCOs had made a tour of SE Asia and wanted us prepared for most eventualities. Now, after 57 years of handling the M14s and owning my own herd, I feel pretty confident in the first hand knowledge acquired and enjoy sharing it with others less fortunate.
Whatta Hobby!

· Registered
Bula
362 Posts
Oh gosh, some of those that have been around longer than I have are probably really stumped by this. I am from the late 70's military and I do not consider myself an older cat. I guess it is all relative. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2,590 Posts
If you can imagine the terror in someone to have to tear into something they have never been trained on. I have a friend I built an M14 rifle for and for the life of me - he could not get the trigger cluster together. I will walk him thru it and does fine. But if I take it all apart and let him gather all the parts, he just draws a blank. And he is an ICU nurse -dealing w/ life and death on daily basis. I tell him that the IV pumps have way more buttons that can kill a patient than the M14. There are only so many moving parts, petesakes.

WE all look at the world in different ways. People who never drove a stick -shift... they only added one more freaking pedal in the manual -is all. :p

· Premium Member
22,917 Posts
Thinking back, we did the same break down for our issued M1s in ITR. I think most of our senior NCOs were Korean War vets or Vietnam vets and wanted to instill that life saving first hand knowledge that those of us yet to get our cherries broke in combat needed to survive. Every Marine is a rifleman first and in boot camp and ITR we were all lower than whale and starting out on the learning curve, but we all knew where we would eventually be headed. Only 1/3 of those that served in Vietnam are still living. Guess it was awhile ago. Semper Fi

Viva America

Smile Flash photography Standing Happy Shorts

· Registered
2,590 Posts
i am not ready to jump in the water yet...w/ a perfectly good boat. :p I will take this old body and repaint it. YOu don't really see the rusts when you bondo it pretty good. Just don't ask me to climb a pole or a tree or a rope. Everything else, I will take several trips but I ..WILL..bring in the entire load.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts