M14 Forum banner

M14 Magazine Fitting Video

28K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Teamamerica 
#1 · (Edited)
This video covers how to troubleshoot and fix magazine fitment issues (magazines that won't lock in).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVAbwjkRX5A&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Tony.

#2 ·
Good video Tonyben.

DI5

Reactions: tonyben
#6 ·
If your SAI had a new plastic/nylon style stock then magazine well tightness is probably due to the soft stock bulging in the magazine well if the trigger group is tight. I had to file the inside of a SAI stock recently that had tight magazine well fitment.

I never really noticed before. Man, you have nice hair! Congratulations!
Not the kind of comment I was expecting, but thanks! I must have had a good hair day.

Tony.

#12 ·
Tony has done other vids?

Reactions: tonyben
#16 ·
Thanks for that video Tony it made troubleshooting fitment of some mags a breeze.
I bought a new in the package GI mag and it didn't want to latch with out slamming on it.
I figured it was the parkerizing so I buffed the finish a bit and filed on the lug and its much better just needs to be used.

#18 ·
First off I need to thank Tony for the video. Nicely done. I thought I'd add my experience as well. My measurements were the same as Tony got prior to doing any fitting.

As you can see, when I hold the rear portion of the trigger housing flush with the stock there is a large gap where the front should be clamped to the stock. I decide to take .06 off the rear clamping surface to close this gap.

There was still a little gap in front after removing the material. This loosened up the trigger guard too much. I add .03 shims to the front clamping areas. The lockup is excellent now and my mags fit well. I will have to replace the shims with some bedding material.

#19 ·
Turns out my new in the package GI mag that didn't want to fit was bent.
Bent enough that the back of the mag by the catch had a large gap making the mag too long for the area it needs to fit it.
So a bit of pounding on that area with a plastic mallet and squeezing with a clamp I got it back to being square enough to fit in better than it was.
Inserts and locks in now just still a smidge tight but should loosen up over time.

#21 ·
Tony,
Thanks! Been off the site for a while but after viewing your video my AG composite stock is back on my 19.25” M14. The stock was on my shelf and I was considering getting rid of it, but after relieving the area mentioned in your video, mags are seating nicely!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.