M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious why this sort of thing isn't more common. Granted it might not do much for grouping of the bench, but the reduction in lock time and impact loads would seem to make sense for match shooting. The "one off" pictured below has survived several thousand rounds, and it's just a cast SA Inc. unit. I've seen no downside so far!

It's now about 55% the weight of a stock hammer. Minimum web thickness is 0.090" IIRC. I'd like to have removed a bit more at the upper end to reduce the moment of inertia further, but did not want to risk the function of the unit (outside of a possible increased fragility). Wouldn't cost any more than a standard hammer if someone -not me!- were to cast some up!

T'ain't pretty, but it's just an experiment!

·
Registered
467 Posts
So you've fired it quite a bit...

No light strikes? No dimpled but not fired rounds?

A nicely shortened lock time can help an offhand shooter considerably... DI5

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
That's a new one on me I did not even know they existed. Where did you lick it up? Did it come with you sai rifle as an option?

·
Eye Master
3,942 Posts
I think Geissele owns a patent on an I-beam shaped hammer to reduce lock time, though I don't recall if it is AR specific, or any hammer. That might be a barrier to someone doing this commercially. That said, if you drill holes all the way through, you should get the same benefit.

Also, as you lighten a hammer, the mass and momentum go down, so ignition energy is reduced. To do it right, you need the reduced mass hammer and a higher strength spring to compensate for the reduced mass.

Art

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great idea - like he said: could be very helpful offhand - God knows I need it!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
NO changes as regardess function or reliability. Primer indentation looks identical. No change to the spring required at this level of modification.

I reckon you could make one out of polymer (plastic) and it would still fire - the AUG has such a thing standard, and there's a partly polymer AR15 hammer as well. It's counterintuitive, but energy, not momentum sets off primers. As the mass goes down velocity goes up, and in the energy equation velocity is more important (V squared). ( It CAN be taken to extremes, but look at the comparative mass of AR15/10 hammers- their springs aren't all that stout.)

The downside to an all aluminum (just for tests- I don't think it's well suited for this sort of work) or polymer hammer is that the trigger and safety sear engagement surfaces are pretty small. Probably need a complete redesign to be durable. The steel LW hammer is basically a drop in.

I'd rather some respected aftermarket manufacturer "steal" my idea and make them so I can just buy a few, rather than spend bucket loads of time whittling more! No "junk" cheapie units, Please...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts