M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to New Jersey from Colorado. I can't find good consistent information on what is legal and not legal in New Jersey. I understand the permitting process, etc. But can you buy/own an M14/M1a with a flash supressor. How about a no-ban AR type rifle with all the evil features? If no flash supressors are permitted, can i buy a new Springfield "Socom" since it has a muzzle brake. I understand the 15 round mag limitation as well. Thanks in advance...best, Jason

·
Registered
247 Posts
First off, WELCOME! Next, WHAT THE HE!! DID YOU MOVE TO NJ FOR! Having said that, I'm just busting ya stones about the moving part. I'm a resident of NJ as well so here's what I know. M1A's are fine but you can't have a "working" bayonet lug on the rifle. Notice I said "working". It can be on the rifle but it can't accept a bayonet. I have an AK-74 with the bayonet lug filled in with a spot of metal and it's perfectly legal. But the M1A's lug is a little more noticable than the 74's though.
Purchasing an M1A is also fine, but they won't come with a lug though. People here will stick their nose in your business in a heartbeat on the range, so be careful. I wouldn't go shooting until you take care of the lug either. Speaking of ranges, where in NJ did you move to if you don't mind me asking? I can fill you in on a few ranges here if you'd like, depending on what part of the Republic you're in.
An Ar in NJ has to be "post ban", meaning no lug or flash suppressor. Simp

·
Registered
980 Posts
Simp, would filling in the bayonet lug with JB Weld make it PC for NJ's AG?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks Tom! Keep the e-mails coming! Looks like we have added another person to "our side".

Jason, You're way up north. The only range that I'm familiar with that is that far north is Cherry Ridge. I'm sure there are more but CR is a 300 yard (I think) range. I'm not even sure what town it's close to. Try these links:

http://hometown.aol.com/kmeisear15/wwwnjhighpowerriflecom.html

www.njhighpower.com

I'm sure you'll be able to find all kinds of good things here. Enjoy, Simp

·
Registered
823 Posts
NJ PH Ranges

Cherry Ridge is about it for HighPower in NJ. Englishtown would be a second although a ride. Not that the trip to CherryRidge is a picnic in Route 23 from Edgewater.

I just moved from NH (Hudson County) to New Hampshire. I ride 10 minutes to the gun club where we have outdoor 300 yard rifle and 50 yard pistol ranges along with shotgun and indoor pistol to 25 yards.

We have gun shows ever few weeks. Unheard of in NJ. Deals are so-so for firerarms but great for parts and ammo. No tax and no shipping costs...

This is only one of many clubs in the area. Several have 600 yard ranges available. All great with the nicest people you would ever want to meet. A different world up here....

:evil:

·
Registered
177 Posts
First welcome to the Garden State. I used to shoot at Cherry Ridge but there are too many retired old guys walking around all day acting as range officers and busting your hump. The best range in the state in Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Culb in Jackson. It is outstanding !!!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Jackson?

Is that the range in Englishtown. That is the only other one I'm familar with in the northern NJ area.

We have some of the older guys up here also but they only seem to offer advice based on a lot of years of experience. None have ever just walked around and bitched...like they do in jersey.....

·
Registered
247 Posts
I believe the one in Englishtown is closed. Don't quote me on that though. As far as having a range full of "range officers", there everywhere.

·
Registered
823 Posts
NH HP Ranges

Seems like that is the story all over NJ. We had a nice pistol range in Secaucus for almost fifty years. Then a state agency decided it wasn't a proper facility for the area and forced it our to build an enviromental center. Nice project in itself but the range area wasn't needed, only deemed evil and had to go.

I'm surprised Cherry Ridge isn't getting pressure to move out due to all the construction in the area.

It's so nice to be away from all of that bullk and away from the politicians in NJ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: NH HP Ranges

rscalzo said:
Seems like that is the story all over NJ. We had a nice pistol range in Secaucus for almost fifty years. Then a state agency decided it wasn't a proper facility for the area and forced it our to build an enviromental center. Nice project in itself but the range area wasn't needed, only deemed evil and had to go.

I'm surprised Cherry Ridge isn't getting pressure to move out due to all the construction in the area.

It's so nice to be away from all of that bullk and away from the politicians in NJ.

Cherry ridge-won't happen. Its located in a preserved area-water shed. Absolutely no more building. They have owned the property since 1937. Membership is over 7000 now I believe. 12000 people used the range last year. Minimum dues with range use is $125/year X at lest 5-7 thousand. Do the math. Plus,its like a country club-many improvements have been made as of late.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Cherry Ridge

Don't take anything for granted. Mahwah Police Academy spent huge sums of money on their range and now due to condos in the area face restrictions.

Sig Academy is right behind my home (within a mile or so). They now face constant complaints and restrictions on their activities due to neighbors in the area. They are one of the bigger emplyers in the state.

I saw formally restricted wetlands in Hudson County get rezoned into commercial and housing. Look at the Meadowlands area near the stadium. That area is being rezoned in some areas for the future developement.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Drive west to PA, or court a landowner to let you do some shootin'.

You're in what is basically New York City ("lite").

Mauser88 is right on the money with the bayo question. A lug is a lug. A bayonet lug is a bayonet lug. I would have a welder run a small bead though. I have horrible visions of a detective scraping your jb-weld off in a courtroom in front of a jury.

It's cool though. On the east coast, I've never had to fix a bayonet, nor has the command been issued to do so.

:lol:

--Fargo007

·
Registered
313 Posts
With respect to Fargo's caution...it's conceivable that only a permanent alteration would pass a legal test... but if you value the flash hider in it's original form, I would not weld on it...the heat will affect the heat treat of the entire unit if not done properly, and could theoretically make it unsafe.

Why not just replace it with a lugless unit while residing in the state?

Same deal we have in CA...no flash hiders...so the rifles here wear Muzzle Breaks while within the borders.

TC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.