M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd give a basic how to remove damaged or old roller from the M14 bolt and re-instalation of new one.The main reasons for replacement are cracks , flat spots ,or when someone re-parks a bolt with roller left in place .This situation can trap aluminum oxide media under bolt resulting in pre-mature wear. I always replace roller when I find a bolt like this.

Step (1) Use several layers of electrical tape or masking tape to completely cover the bolt body except the roller,this will protect finish during the grinding operation.If you have steel shim stock a few thousandths thick cut a tapered piece and place it between roller and shaft at the top where you will be grinding,this pulls the roller away from shaft for clearance plus helps wedge it so it does'nt move around.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step(2) - Position bolt with roller on top either in a padded vice or sandbag to sucurely hold it .You need to be comfortable and stable so you dont slip with grinder.I like the Dremmel moto tool and heavy duty cuttoff disk for this task as you can control it better but a air die grinder will work fine too just go slow.

Place the rotation of the cuttoff wheel parallel with bolt body and start grinding a small flat ,back and forth all the way across until you see the inside retainer groove appear.Once this happens just make it thin as possible without going all the way through.

Rotate roller 180 degree and repeat only this time you only need to go half way or so.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step (3) - Now grasp roller with a good pair of vise grips or other heavy duty pliers on one side and twist. This will crack the roller at the thin spot from first grinding. Using the vice grip and taped flat head screwdriver as a pry tool the roller will easily pop off. Take a look at the photo the roller will look as pictured if done correctly.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Step (4) - Remove the old spring retainer ( c-clip ) from bolt shaft and detail clean and inspect the O.D. It should be smooth and free of burrs and measure .272'' +/- .002''

If its good shape install new retainer ( c-clip ) in groove with open end facing upward towards top of bolt. Next apply small amount of lube inside new roller . Using the bolt roller retainer pliers with open end facing up like the c-clip retainer ,carefully squeeze the retainer until tool is closed over bolt shaft.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Step (5) - While still squeezing the pliers place the new rolller on the shaft and press entire assembly towards bolt body until it bottom out on shaft radius. Hold tension against roller while opening the pliers and continue to push on until you here the retainer click inside roller groove.

Check by spinning and pushing on roller to make sure the retainer is fully captured. If all is well use the roller grease tool to fully lube new rolller.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,459 Posts
How hard is the roller? I have removed axle bearing by smacking them with a hammer and splitting them. If you were careful could you do that to the roller? It looks like there enough room on both sides of the bolt lug if you were to lay in on some thing hard to support it. I know this sound kinda redneckish but if you only drink 1 beer before you swing the hammer and wear safety glasses and gloves...

Casey

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rollers are extremely hard ,a mill file want touch one. I dont know the actual specification but they are brittle. They crack very easy once you break through.
A small two foot puller has been mentioned before as a potintial removal tool but me personaly excess force is applied to bolt shaft groove and may contribute to poor roller function if groove is damaged. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How hard is the roller? I have removed axle bearing by smacking them with a hammer and splitting them. If you were careful could you do that to the roller? It looks like there enough room on both sides of the bolt lug if you were to lay in on some thing hard to support it. I know this sound kinda redneckish but if you only drink 1 beer before you swing the hammer and wear safety glasses and gloves...

Casey
yeah thats it.these guys dont know nutin! you show em.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I'd give a basic how to remove damaged or old roller from the M14 bolt and re-instalation of new one.The main reasons for replacement are cracks , flat spots ,or when someone re-parks a bolt with roller left in place .This situation can trap aluminum oxide media under bolt resulting in pre-mature wear. I always replace roller when I find a bolt like this.

Step (1) Use several layers of electrical tape or masking tape to completely cover the bolt body except the roller,this will protect finish during the grinding operation.If you have steel shim stock a few thousandths thick cut a tapered piece and place it between roller and shaft at the top where you will be grinding,this pulls the roller away from shaft for clearance plus helps wedge it so it does'nt move around.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Step(2) - Position bolt with roller on top either in a padded vice or sandbag to sucurely hold it .You need to be comfortable and stable so you dont slip with grinder.I like the Dremmel moto tool and heavy duty cuttoff disk for this task as you can control it better but a air die grinder will work fine too just go slow.

Place the rotation of the cuttoff wheel parallel with bolt body and start grinding a small flat ,back and forth all the way across until you see the inside retainer groove appear.Once this happens just make it thin as possible without going all the way through.

Rotate roller 180 degree and repeat only this time you only need to go half way or so.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Step (3) - Now grasp roller with a good pair of vise grips or other heavy duty pliers on one side and twist. This will crack the roller at the thin spot from first grinding. Using the vice grip and taped flat head screwdriver as a pry tool the roller will easily pop off. Take a look at the photo the roller will look as pictured if done correctly.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Step (4) - Remove the old spring retainer ( c-clip ) from bolt shaft and detail clean and inspect the O.D. It should be smooth and free of burrs and measure .272'' +/- .002''

If its good shape install new retainer ( c-clip ) in groove with open end facing upward towards top of bolt. Next apply small amount of lube inside new roller . Using the bolt roller retainer pliers with open end facing up like the c-clip retainer ,carefully squeeze the retainer until tool is closed over bolt shaft.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Step (5) - While still squeezing the pliers place the new rolller on the shaft and press entire assembly towards bolt body until it bottom out on shaft radius. Hold tension against roller while opening the pliers and continue to push on until you here the retainer click inside roller groove.

Check by spinning and pushing on roller to make sure the retainer is fully captured. If all is well use the roller grease tool to fully lube new rolller.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a request to fix pics in this thread ,used imgur this time as house upload and photo bucket are waste of time.

For the record I am no longer making the pliers ,after 15 years and hand making hundreds of them I am burnt out .The wait list now is so long if I ever do fill it wont be anytime soon.Sorry gents .

I'll make up a drawing with dimensions for anyone that wants to try .

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
Just a shout-out and thanks to Iron Worker - finally got to use the pliers you made me a few years ago to install a bolt roller/clip and it made replacement a breeze!

The right tool for the job for sure!!

M1Army

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.