M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

I don't know if this is inappropriate to post here... and I know most of you already have everything that I am posting... but...

I was trying to organize some of the basic tools that I use to maintain and upkeep my M14/M1A rifles and I thought it might be of interest to somebody on this board... so I took a picture and decided to post it... this is not every tool that you will need but its a start... and this question seems to come up often as to what tools do you need (at least on BR.Com)... So here goes...

Left to Right, Bottom
Flitz - Metal Polish - Used for polishing gas Piston
Dry Fire Device - Used when dry firing
Gas Port Alignment Tool - Used to align gas ports when changing or modifying the Gas Cylinder
Combo Tool - Used for lots of stuff... mostly to remove the gas cylinder plug.
Gas Cylinder Wrenches - Used to hold the gas cylinder for USGI and SA
Castle Nut Pliers - Used to remove Castle nut when taking FH off
Gas Cylinder Clean Out Tools - The two black handled ones are from FA and the long one with the knurled piece in the center is from Brownells - Used to clean the gas cylinders
Chamber Cleaner - Used to clean the chamber - tips are interchangeable

Left to Right, Top
Roll Pin Punches - Used for all roll pins on M14/M1A
Drift Punches - Used as basic punches, drifting, etc.
Hex Key Set - Used for front sight, castle nut set screw, etc. Use Inch type

Not shown in picture:
Bolt Assembly/Disassembly Jig
Trigger Group Assembly/Disassembly Jig
Headspace Gauges
Muzzle Wear Gauge
Throat Erosion Gauge
Screw Driver Set
Firing Pin Protrusion Gauge

Types of Grease... Lubriplate, Tetra Grease and USGI cups with yellow caps

I was actually taking the Devine M1A down for detailed cleaning and noticed that the gas piston was really grimy... so I polished it with Flitz... this is what it came out looking like...

Well that is it for now... I hope you like the pics... if there are tools, items, etc. that I missed and you would like pictures, please let me know and I will post as quickly as I can (if I got them). But shown are most of the basic tools that are used frequently.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Like you said, there are many people who want to know what is a good basic tools kit for the M14/M1A. :)
That looks like a very nice drift punch set in the box. Where can I fine me one like that? (Is it from SEARS by chance?)
Thanks for posting the pics Tom!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi M1AScout:

I see this drift punch set all over the place, but I am not sure where I got mine... I think it was Midway, SportsmansGuide or CheaperThanDirt...

Sears has a much better set there...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Tomodachi, This is extremely appropiate that you should put this post here. I've seen the question asked countless times. Thanks a bunch on behalf of everyone from newbies to old timers.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Hawk!

A while back, I saw a short procedure on the 1911 by Vanhahner that he did with small pics... and it keeps popping up in my head and I would like to do a good piece on the tools that we use for the archives. I think I will do a better job of collecting and showing the basic and advance tools for the M14 as soon as I can get all of the tools that I ordered delivered...

Until then, I hope this was okay... Glad you liked it...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dighawaii,

Newbie here. Thanks for the photo, it will be a help to me. One question, the chamber cleaning rod and brush seem too long to me to fit into the receiver. I have a chamber brush, but have not figured out what tool to use to do a good job cleaning out the chamber after I brush it. What you have there looks like a pistol cleaning rod but I can't figure out how you fit it into the receiver. Thanks.

sjs

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aloha SJS:

The chamber brush that I put in the pic is similar to the "Chamber Maid". The brush is attached to a long flexible shaft with a threaded end (for different tips) and it flexes just right to go into the chamber from the bolt side and do a good cleaning...

I can put the chamber brush in from the mag well or through the bolt (top of the receiver) side. Just put it in, make sure its not draggin on anything and turn the handle... You can also push and pull to further clean. It works...

After a good scrubbing with the brush, I put a mop on and make sure that the chamber is clean! That's how I do it... I know there are lots of products out there... let me know if you find something better or faster...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aloha Dighawaii,

Nope, I don't know anything better. I'm just starting to learn this stuff. I carried an M14 in the Army for a few years, before we switched to the M16, but I have forgotten everything I used to think I knew.

Anyway, can you get a flexible brush handle like that over the internet? I'd like to get one if I can. I don't recall seeing anything like that, altho now that I know it exists, I will look for one at the usual sources.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
The old way of cleaning the chamber was to use the ratchet style chamber brush and screwing in a lenghth of cleaning rod. As modern advancements in materials and cleaning systems evolve we are left with more than one method of doing the same thing. That's a good thing!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi SJS:

Yes, the chamber tool is advertised in SGN and a few other places, I think I might have got it at Midway, CheaperThanDirt, or Sportsmanguide...

Sorry, I can't remember exactly where I got it from... but it has become a main tool in my tool kit...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Our own HueyGunner sent me some pics and asked me to post them here. Art Lupino made a chamber tool for him some years back and according to HueyGunner, although pretty much retired, Art would most likely be willing to make some more of them for anyone desiring one. HueyGunner said that they were around $40 and to contact him by PM and he would be happy to call Art. Thanks Jeff!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aloha Hawk,

First, that is appears to be an excellent and well made tool, Jeff let ya post! Looks awesome...

And it would be great idea to have some tools like that made... Good idea, HueyGunner!!! Yah!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Hawk, that item looks like good stuff. I'm pretty challenged with the web, so it may take me some time to figure out how to do it, but I will PM HueyGunner on this.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Hawk,

I just gave Jeff a jingle on PM as well... :lol: I told him, I miss his posts and to give us hell for being too lax and not posting more! :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Cool Tomodachi! I been buggin him now and then too.....These retired Master Sgts.....can't tell em nuthin...... :roll: Just kiddin Jeff :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
tom:
if i feel up to it i post something i am still an idiot with these computers. hows this 30 years fixing complex rotorcraft and i cant get certain aspects of an electronic marvel.
what further pisses me off is my 5 year old grandaughter can do this stuff.
glad hawk could re send my pics and that you guys liked them. got to go to west point today for new dod stickers for the cars and to do my car inspection. will post some more when i can you guys are still the best. jeff
ps. just got e mail from the great one(art) and he is up to doing a few a very few so e mail me your wants.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Jeff....while your there see if you can procure a few of them M-14s they have..... :roll: :roll: :roll: Good to see ya here on the forum buddy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts