M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a M14, M1A and a mini14. I understand the M14/M1A has a gas piston system and shoots a 308 and the mini spits a 223 pill without the gas system.
So, what makes the cherished M14 so much different then the Ruger M14 in function?
You must admit they are very similar and Ruger must have been trying to copy the original M14.
Cap

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cap,

The new Model Ruger Mini Ranch model does have a gas sytem. The following link may provide some info for you.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5801&return=Y

And yes I think old Mr. Ruger had the intention to re-introduce a very popular design for the civilian market. As a matter of fact I bought a Ruger 44 Mag Carbine in the early 70's because it looked like a scaled down version of the M-14 I trained with in the 60's.

All in all I'd say it was a pretty smart move on his part as I still have the 44 mag and 3 other of his products.

Turf

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ruger should have spent more time designing the sights, or spent more time making them a better copy.

The sights SUCK.

I reciently took a friend out shooting an Mini 14 as he has been just starting his garand collection. He ended up saying that he thought he could shoot the garand better then the mini 14.

If you want a 223, go with an AR. If you want a 308, go with a M14, FAL, AR10, ect.

·
Registered
403 Posts
colt100 said:
If you want a 223, go with an AR.... AR10, ect.
Thats a pretty general statement...Mini-14 tuned right, with a better barrel, on some other improvements could be a real shooter....

TM

·
Registered
248 Posts
Currently owning two mini-14's, a mini30, several Garands and M1As I can say that the Ruger out of the box is definitely not built for accuracy. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But for a general field gun to haul through the woods and take a quick shot at varmints it does the job. It's light, simple and reliable with good mags!!! (If you’re lucky to have some factory Ruger 20 rnd'ers). I don’t mind it taking some dings from branches etc. I can’t say that for the nice wood on the Garands etc….

For that aspect they are a great gun and I like them since they are simplified Garand actions.

As for performance in .223, I'll take my AR-15 any day... and of course the Ruger can't ever come close to a AR-15, Garand or M1A accuracy without pouring more money into it than one of the latter would cost you in the first place.

Garand_guy

·
Registered
42 Posts
triggerman said:
colt100 said:
Thats a pretty general statement...Mini-14 tuned right, with a better barrel, on some other improvements could be a real shooter....

TM
My chrome lined beater AR15 will shoot rings around ALL Mini14's that I've seen. Take a basic DPMS lo pro for $700 and it'll outshoot even a modified Mini14. I'd even prefer a 223 AK over a Mini...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Balzac72 said:
triggerman said:
colt100 said:

TM
My chrome lined beater AR15 will shoot rings around ALL Mini14's that I've seen. Take a basic DPMS lo pro for $700 and it'll outshoot even a modified Mini14. I'd even prefer a 223 AK over a Mini...
[-(

TM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.