M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, dear gentlemen! The first thing I wanted to do was to thank the people of the USA for helping us fight for our freedom!
I am a member of a volunteer combat formation formed to protect the native city of our dear Ukraine.
Although personally, we have not yet faced open clashes with the Russian invaders, but as civilians, we study hard and prepare in every way if necessary to repel the enemy.
It is thanks to your country and your people that my unit received m14 rifles of various manufacturers (Springfield, H&R, Winchester and TRW). Weapons were not familiar to us before, we are more used to AK, SVD and SKS. But I really liked the m14 and it was decided to form a small squad of marksmen, whose training I am engaged in.
I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions about the technical side of the m14 rifle, and please help me get the answers to them.
For example, tell me how critical is the presence of backlash in the figure of eight that supports and directs the direction of operation of the shutter frame??? Because there are very few rifles where this backlash is not there at all, in most of them it is quite significant, and is there a need to deal with its reduction or do you need to remove it at all?
I would also like to share a photo of my rifle, because it is beautiful ;).

PS
Sorry for the possibly incomprehensible English, because I am writing through Google Translate.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Shotgun
Military camouflage Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun
Military camouflage Machine gun Air gun Trigger Outdoor recreation
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Table Shotgun

·
Registered
468 Posts
You can shim the gas cylinder. This is the easiest way. It may help, or it may not help accuracy. Hand tighten with shims in place. Do not use a wrench to get the "figure eight" (gas lock) tight.

Gas Cylinder Shimming

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
That figure 8 part is called the “op rod guide.” It is held in place on the barrel with a small roll pin, and does not need to be removed unless you are replacing the barrel itself (new barrel installation).

It is important that when the op rod guide is installed so that the op rod is able to move freely back and fourth without any rubbing or interference. I would confirm the small roll pin is still in place in that part, and leave it alone.

Make sure the bolt roller and op rod is lightly greased (instead of oil).

Good luck protecting your country.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Greetings, dear gentlemen! The first thing I wanted to do was to thank the people of the USA for helping us fight for our freedom!
I am a member of a volunteer combat formation formed to protect the native city of our dear Ukraine.
Although personally, we have not yet faced open clashes with the Russian invaders, but as civilians, we study hard and prepare in every way if necessary to repel the enemy.
It is thanks to your country and your people that my unit received m14 rifles of various manufacturers (Springfield, H&R, Winchester and TRW). Weapons were not familiar to us before, we are more used to AK, SVD and SKS. But I really liked the m14 and it was decided to form a small squad of marksmen, whose training I am engaged in.
I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions about the technical side of the m14 rifle, and please help me get the answers to them.
For example, tell me how critical is the presence of backlash in the figure of eight that supports and directs the direction of operation of the shutter frame??? Because there are very few rifles where this backlash is not there at all, in most of them it is quite significant, and is there a need to deal with its reduction or do you need to remove it at all?
I would also like to share a photo of my rifle, because it is beautiful ;).

PS
Sorry for the possibly incomprehensible English, because I am writing through Google Translate.

View attachment 486731 View attachment 486732 View attachment 486730 View attachment 486729
If the Rifles came from Uncle Sam [U.S.] they are ready to go. Get as many magazines as you can get. Make sure they are in good working order.
Do you have any spare parts available?

vutty777 What kind of ammunition are you using?

Is there a steady, available supply?

Get some range time from elevated positions. And everytime you shoot your weapon clean the chamber and barrel. In your situation it may be the last time you get to clean it. Keep a ready supply of cleaning supplies in your buttstock. In the field any crankcase oil you come across is better than no lubrication.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It is important that when the op rod guide is installed so that the op rod is able to move freely back and fourth without any rubbing or interference. I would confirm the small roll pin is still in place in that part, and leave it alone.
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I wanted to know

Get as many magazines as you can get. Make sure they are in good working order.
Do you have any spare parts available?
There is a problem with magazines, the set is only 1 rifle + magazine. They bought 5 promag magazines for the division, but only two magazines fit the rifles without modification, the other three had to be finished.

vutty777 What kind of ammunition are you using?
We use this kind of charge
Font Wood Gas Number Measuring instrument

Is there a steady, available supply?
So far, but extremely limited

Get some range time from elevated positions. And everytime you shoot your weapon clean the chamber and barrel. In your situation it may be the last time you get to clean it. Keep a ready supply of cleaning supplies in your buttstock. In the field any crankcase oil you come across is better than no lubrication.
Thanks for the advice.

Great looking rifle. The 7.62 X 51 cartridge has close to the stopping power of the 7.62 X 54R, not a pea shooter.
Make every shot count for your freedom.
Thank you, we will try.

Beautiful rifle, hopefully it's only training you need to do with it.
Thank you, we also hope for that, several members of the formation have already joined the Armed Forces of Ukraine and are now directly on the front line. Therefore, we must be ready to stand up to them if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
If I have one concern for you on that rifle is the scope mount...its a Springfield Gen 4 unit...they can come loose....so keep an eye on it...if you have access to loctite...I'd use it on all the screws on that mount...both the receiver side and clip guide mount...same goes to your rings and all...

Since you don't have a DMR style optic (MRAD tree reticle with target turrets)...I would zero at 50m...this will give you minute of man hits effectively to 200-250 meters +/- 4-5 CM if you do your part...probably close to 275-300m with the 22" barrel you have...

If you can get a handle on a better scope do it...I know we have sent a ton of Leupold Mark 4s, NFs, and Vortex optics over to the UA...so not sure how your unit is getting supplied with that stuff...

That ammo is a good performer out to 600...

Keep the oprod and the receiver channel clean and lubed...don't forget to grease the bolt as well...in a pinch...get a small squeeze bottle and fill it with 10w40 oil...that will get you lubed in a pinch....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome, and God bless you in your fight. My family and I are praying for a Ukrainian victory.

Be careful with Pro Mag magazines. Most of us here don't trust them. At very least, load them fully a few times and fire the entire thing on the practice range. If the magazine works, ok. If not, that's the kind of thing you want to find out on the practice range. The M14 is reliable, but it needs good magazines to feed it. Do not use a magazine that causes problems in your rifle unless you have no other choice.

If you can, get more original magazines, or try to get some from Check-mate Industries, who are the current supplier to the US military for new magazines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I have one concern for you on that rifle is the scope mount...its a Springfield Gen 4 unit...they can come loose....so keep an eye on it...if you have access to loctite...I'd use it on all the screws on that mount...both the receiver side and clip guide mount...same goes to your rings and all...

Since you don't have a DMR style optic (MRAD tree reticle with target turrets)...I would zero at 50m...this will give you minute of man hits effectively to 200-250 meters +/- 4-5 CM if you do your part...probably close to 275-300m with the 22" barrel you have...

If you can get a handle on a better scope do it...I know we have sent a ton of Leupold Mark 4s, NFs, and Vortex optics over to the UA...so not sure how your unit is getting supplied with that stuff...

Keep the oprod and the receiver channel clean and lubed...don't forget to grease the bolt as well...in a pinch...get a small squeeze bottle and fill it with 10w40 oil...that will get you lubed in a pinch....

Welcome, and God bless you in your fight. My family and I are praying for a Ukrainian victory.

Be careful with Pro Mag magazines. Most of us here don't trust them. At very least, load them fully a few times and fire the entire thing on the practice range. If the magazine works, ok. If not, that's the kind of thing you want to find out on the practice range. The M14 is reliable, but it needs good magazines to feed it. Do not use a magazine that causes problems in your rifle unless you have no other choice.

If you can, get more original magazines, or try to get some from Check-mate Industries, who are the current supplier to the US military for new magazines.
Thank you for your support and warning! Already converted three stores, more or less working. But we do not have such a wide selection of m14 accessories, because this weapon is exotic for us. So again, we take what is available, unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you like the M14 rifle, consider acquiring the Springfield Armory M1A rifle. The M1A is a semi-automatic version of the M14 made for the civilian market. Consequently, it is likely to be more available for purchase and export from the US. Same caliber and set up as the M14 - 7.62 NATO, just no select fire switch, that is to say, no full-auto capability. For long range precision shooting that should not be an issue. I believe I recognize the Hirtenberger ammo label. I have some that ammo that the Austrians sold as surplus. The ammo is 50 years old and still shoots just fine. The rifle / ammo combination will shoot just where I point it. (My problem has been with targets beyond 300 yards; I have no aptitude for adjusting for wind and the visual distortion caused by heated air down range.) Good hunting. хороша полювання. BTW, the 7.62 NATO military round is very similar to, but not quite the same as, the .308 Winchester civilian cartridge. Results will likely vary somewhat between the two varieties of ammo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you, but I'm not talking about the plug of the gas engine, but about the intermediate eight into which the shutter frame is inserted.
Here she is.
View attachment 486752
Эта часть детали , обведённая красным, должна быть инсталлирована, иначе оружие не будет функционировать, скользящая часть будет застревать.

Ты православный?

подруга из бывшего СССР переводит мне.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
How are you going to get proper magazines? Is there something in the pipeline that will help you get equipped.

I will send you 5 magazines but I can not supply more for a Division but will try and see to it that you get what it needed.

I want you to PM me as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts