M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an armscorp receiver with a USGI barrel and bolt (and other parts, too).

when I shoot the gun, the op rod needs a little boost to rotate the bolt into battery 4/5 times.

same when I manually cyle the gun.

:evil: BUT :evil:

If I leave the ejector out, it slaps right into battery, though the cases do not eject.

the ejector assembly is 2.5" long per my tape measure (calipers not handy at the time).

I couldn't find the ejector specs in Kuhnhausen's book. can somebody please help??

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
headspacing seems OK.

op rod looks new, but no I have not tested it in another M14

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
it is my understanding that Armscorp receiver op rod channels are under sized slightly as they expected used USGI op rods to be used, which would make them fit tighter with less play. If the op rod is "like new", then it's quite possible that a tad has to be removed from the "Pad" in order for it to move freely. This should be done extremely carefully though as if too much is taken off the pad, then the op rod will be no good 8O

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the op rod was a bit sticky, but a little cautious stoning fixed that.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
You could try a different bolt with the same ejector. Also, check the bolt's ejector hole to see if it has a burr or any debris in it. It sounds like something is making the ejector extend too far forward. You might also check the ejector itself to see if it is too long.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 different bolts and 2 different ejectors = same exact behavior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a mark being left on the top of the extractor? Ive had to relieve a very slight amount of metal from the extractor where it was making contact with the barrel. It smoothed up and works great. Duff mentions this in his book as well. Good luck..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unassembled bolt closes easily with aussie, SB, port, PMC and Wolf ammo. I don't think it is a headspace issue, though that was my first suspicion.

I have tried 2 bolts. one has a little mark on top of the extractor, the other does not. neither work.

op rod spring is brand new Fulton Armory.

this is driving me bat$hit

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Could be M1 extractors you have. Bill Ricca wrote a post on them a few weeks ago. They will work in the M14 type rifle. The hook is sharper and 1/64th of an inch larger. I would do a search for his post and follow the directions there. Duff's book says to do about the same thing with all extractors. No Dremel or file, just stone very small amount from top corner where mark is untill it fits perfect. I hope this helps & does the trick for you.

·
Banned
517 Posts
gunsmith...

Have you measured the op rod spring too make sure it is the minimum specified 15.23 inches long?

Seeing that you have Kuhnhausen's manual, I assume you have.

I have had shorter ones (14.5 inches) work ok in my M1A's but all rifles are different.

·
Registered
967 Posts
delloro

I had a NM build with a NM spring guide that was causing the op rod
to bind, I did not check the spring length. The problem stopped after
I went to a standard spring guide. This rifle has an Armscorp receiver.

2BA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.