M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an USGI M14 Gas Piston that I was cleaning today and it stuck to my metal parts tray! I don't remember if my other gas pistons is magnetic too. I have never noticed that before.

I am sure going to check out my other gas pistons tomorrow and find out. Do I have an odd ball here or are all Gas Pistons magnetic? If they are magnetic, why is that?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I know metals will often magnetize when being cut. There is a process to demagetize finished items. Most types of stainless will not magnetize, but some will. I honestly don't know which stainless was used for GI pistons.

My question is are you sure it is US GI? Pistons have been made for almost 15 years now and that is one small step that would be overlooked by a commercial manufacturer trying to keep costs low.

If the piston came out of a demilled rifle, it could very well be magnetic because the scrap is often handled with giant electo magnetic cranes.

If it is GI, I suspect somebody slipped one past a government inspector.

My hunch is you will not find one like that new in wrap.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Thanks for the info Bill, I haven't come across any magnetic pistons as of yet. Even the ones that I got from demilled rifles weren't.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill,

I think you might have hit the nail right on the head.

"If the piston came out of a demilled rifle, it could very well be magnetic because the scrap is often handled with giant electo magnetic cranes."

This gas piston is one that was saved from capt. crunch. It's certainly not new but in very good shape.

Now I wonder how can I "demagnetize" it...or do I need to?

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,

It's actually a gas piston that was sent to me after I purchased this "T44", Armscorp copy of the T44 rifle. When I tried to take it apart and I noticed that the Gas Piston was missing so the dealer sent me one. I haven't tried it in the rifle yet. I will give it a shot, if it works, I'll just leave it.

I'll post some pics of this T44 rifle, although not "original, for discussion later. I'd love to get your input :)

·
Banned
354 Posts
A sudden shock will demagnatize a metal that is not a perminant magnet so if the rifle is assembled a few shots will demagnatize the piston ... .... ....SP/4 Twiggy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts