M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
I recently bought a Norinco M14. I mounted a UTG Scope Mount to it and now it isn't ejecting the cases properly (as seen in the video below) every second shoot gets jammed. Without Scope Mount it was ejecting just fine. There are also brass traces on the Scope Mount.

Does anybody know how tho fix the ejection direction?

Thanks alot! P_G

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os18y7H2E_w"]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os18y7H2E_w[/ame]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Does it still have the original Norinco extractor, extractor spring and plunger, ejector, and ejector springs?

I would start by changing the ejector and ejector spring.

·
Forum Jester
6,957 Posts
mounts too low you can mark the area above the opening and cut a 45 degree angle on a milling machine to direct the brass outward

try a new extractor spring,too

are you using gi extractor? looks like the shell popped out of the extractor.

next time you shoot something like this,use a high intensity light pointed at the area of focus.makes it easier to see.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Does it still have the original Norinco extractor, extractor spring and plunger, ejector, and ejector springs?

I would start by changing the ejector and ejector spring.

I would start with this. Then, with an extra ejector spring, you can remove a coil at a time if it still needs some tuning.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Excellent video evidence. Please do follow up videos as you track down the solution.

For comparison...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlU8SGaqdu8[/ame]

Thanks to whoever uploaded this video to youtube.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
If it worked without the mount but hangs up now, the problem isn't the rifle but interference from the mount. I would modify the mount first, start messing around with the rifle it might cause other issues.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
My (old) SA M1A has this issue with SA surplus. Everything else, from corrosive S&B to my reloads, to USGI/NATO rounds worked fine in it. SA empties bounce off the scope mount every so often, back into the way of the bolt that is trying to feed/chamber the next round from the magazine and I get an empty sticking sort of sideways out of the bolt/receiver area.

I just stopped shooting SA surplus in my M1A.

I agree with the guys who say to modify the scope mount rather than the ejector/extractor. Yes, it's a combination of your rifle's extraction pattern/direction and the scope mount - but why modify the rifle? The scope mount is less trouble to modify and easier to replace if you do mess something up.

·
Forum Jester
6,957 Posts
gi extractor?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Before I continue, I'm going to provide, in detail, all my qualifications to dispense advice about M14 rifles;

None.

So, taking that into consideration, I think replacing the ejector and ejector spring should be the first move. Based on my observations (of the fantastic video... that was epic) your rifle is suffering from Lazy Ejector Spring Syndrome. You need a spring that is strong "like bull".

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The problem isn't the scope mount. The problem is that the shell casing isn't clearing the action during ejection. A shell casing striking the op rod during ejection is fine as long as it does not remain in the path of the op rod during the return to battery. In the original video from the original poster you do not see the shell casing striking the scope mount, a knob of the scope ring or anything else and then bouncing back into the action. What you do see is the round being extracted normally and then spinning in the chamber area and remaining there as the bolt begins to feed the next round.

Either the bolt guts need to be changed, the rifle is under gassed (too small or misaligned gas port), or the op rod is binding or being slowed in its rearward motion.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The problem isn't the scope mount. The problem is that the shell casing isn't clearing the action during ejection..
If you look at the video, the scope mount may be complicating the problem, but even in the round that 'worked,' the case was moving more forward than out to the side. Fire enough rounds without the mount, you might still get one stuck.

Whatever those smart guys said about springs and extractors, sounds good to me. GI1

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same problem with my springfield M1A and an ARMS 18 mount that was too low, I changed this setup for a BASSET
I agree with CNelson. It's not the mount. I have an ARMS 18 and I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Try different ammo before modifying anything.
It would be interesting to know the ammo you are using. Maybe not enough pressure to operate the bolt fast enough? I could be wrong, but thinking of cycling a bolt action; the faster the bolt is operated, the faster and farther the cases fly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts