M14 Forum banner

M14 effectiveness strikes again

2976 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Phil “Murphy” McGrath
Cousin and I went hunting this weekend. We were going for deer, but a large group of Javalinas came running out and stopped at the feeder. Having an M14 in-hand and my cousin his M700 we executed a frame shoot on the first two, then i proceeded to take two more running. one sweet spot, one head shot, at 100 meters on the run.

you can see the before, and after pictures of the javalinas on the game cam. the one closest to the cam is mine. the one laying down further is my cousins, the two you see running in the photo were hit in rapid succession. we have thus reached our limit on javalina this year, lol.

Well, we head back to the house and theres still a bit of daylight left. its cloudy and raining, so I throw on my poncho, grab my 14 and head out back. i was out for no more than 5-10 min when i look down the hill and i see a group of large black hogs running from cover to cover. i take up a good kneeling firing position and have enough time to make a snap-shot on a mover at 150 M. push weapon onto fire with trigger finger, lead, track, squeeze BOOM- WHACK BOOM-- WHACK. minus one pig. next one, on the run at a dead sprint, lead, track, squeeze BOOM! whack! BOOM whack! - done. they were all on the move, all sweet spots. they are now a part of my freezer :D Been waiting for a shot like that for years now. The last photo is of the two pigs.

So, this weekend we got 4 javalinas and 4 pigs total. good weekend id say

I heart my M14. DI2
Reactions: lbsnake925
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
472 Posts
This is a classic example of the M14 vs a bolt gun argument. with the bolt gun you would be working the bolt while the M14 shooter is framing his next shot. Don't get me wrong, the bolt gun has its place, but in a real furr ball you want something with a high rate of fire. I realize they are for differnt missions, but that is blurred in combat as the battle doesn't always follow doctirine. Just my two cents worth, don't want to start another pissing contest thread.

PS I guess I should really say Semi Auto vs Bolt gun to stay politcally correct.

· Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what does a javalina taste like?
not sure yet. were gonna find out. thing is, they smelled a lot worse than the hogs did. although, the hogs were covered in ticks. but, once we got them open, nice and neat and clean. appeared to be good meat. my uncle says he used to eat em all the time and that many of the myths about them being deseased and gamey are unfounded. the large nasty boars are the ones that taste bad, i am told.

The hides on the hogs were a real PITA to cut through, but the meat was nice- just like a deer, but with more fat between the hide and the muscle.

will report on taste of Javalina, and a good recipe for wild hog.

· Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
not sure yet. were gonna find out. thing is, they smelled a lot worse than the hogs did. although, the hogs were covered in ticks. but, once we got them open, nice and neat and clean. appeared to be good meat. my uncle says he used to eat em all the time and that many of the myths about them being deseased and gamey are unfounded. the large nasty boars are the ones that taste bad, i am told.

The hides on the hogs were a real PITA to cut through, but the meat was nice- just like a deer, but with more fat between the hide and the muscle.

will report on taste of Javalina, and a good recipe for wild hog.

Just don't hit the glad on a Javalina I think its on there back somewhere, it will ruin the meat, and like all game they have a gamey taist, but for a RAT they taist more like pork. I have had prenty of the meat but I like it best BBQ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.