1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
751 Posts
That's about the clearest, best illustrated instructions for proper lubrication I've seen. I'd never considered doing any lube on the contact surface of the front band, or under the rear sight base.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you love it, lube it! Thanks for the well-illustrated instructions.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Administrator
18,355 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

Well documented and pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on each section. Very well done tonyben.DI5

·
Registered
46 Posts
This has been great help. I have an M14 and I have only lubed it in 3 places, the bolt and op rod and the receiver. I didnt know there were so many other places that needed lubed. Plus I was using Hoppes Gun Lube which I love to use because we used it on our M40a3s. I also remember when we used our M14 DMR we used a red grease and I cant remember the name of it but after looking through the manuals it is LMX red grease. Has anyone used this?

Thanks for posting this it is very helpful.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks once again for an excellent how to guide. Like most of us I have missed several of the points through the years so I will be printing up a copy and doing a tear down/practice to get it right.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Excellent contribution to the community. Stuff like this is what makes this forum great.

·
Registered
516 Posts
This is the only place I've ever seen oil recommended for the op rod. It makes me a bit nervous to be honest but I'm going to try it. How much oil should you use on it? Soaked and dripping, a moderate coat, or a thin layer?

·
Super Moderator
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the only place I've ever seen oil recommended for the op rod. It makes me a bit nervous to be honest but I'm going to try it. How much oil should you use on it? Soaked and dripping, a moderate coat, or a thin layer?
You can use either for the op-rod guide. I tried grease but I felt that it slowed the action down just a tad, especially if you use too much. It seemed like it moved faster with oil. I have used both and functionally, it didn't make a difference.

Tony.

·
Registered
914 Posts
LPS No. 2 perhaps?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just tried to download the file and the website said the quota had been exceeded and I could not access the file. Anyone else experience this problem?

·
Super Moderator
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I talked to gunshack a couple of weeks ago and the site will be down for a few more days. I think the link will go live again after the 30th. He's out of town right now and will deal with it when he gets back.

Here's a link to the old one I did:
http://www.m14.ca/maintenance/M14_Lubrication_Tutorial_with_Pictures_1_.pdf

For some reason, I've sent m14.ca the new file 2 times but they haven't replaced the old one with the new one.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts