M14 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Can't add much to what others have already said, best informative and instructional M1A videos out there....
Who made these Videos?

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks TonyBen! Wow!

Just finished this series as I eagerly await the arrival of my first M1A. Subbed to your YouTube channel as well. You have a Bob Ross like way of making it look so easy! I'm hearing: "Let's paint a happy little M14 right under this waterfall"

Side note: I like the Tamiya Frog r/c car in video #3. I spent WAY too much time with my Frog/Grasshopper/Hornets in the late 80s as a kid!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I sent Tony a few shekels for his great work with these videos. This was my first "clean from muzzle end" rifle. Tony held my hand all the way with these videos. I fashioned some cleaning tools and accessories to protect muzzle and breech from crud. Now it is a breeze.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Tony, thanks for making these videos. I follow them religiously, but have a question.

I normally shoot about 100-150 rounds per session and my newish rifle has maybe 500 rounds max through it. After I punch the bore with a wire brush and Sweet's 7.62 (10-15x through), I run dry patches until clean. When I put a little CLP on a patch to leave some lubricant in the barrel, suddenly the patches start coming out dirty again, and again, and again.

Should I use two solvents? One for powder and one for copper? I shoot FMJ PPU mostly and I've been pretty good about really cleaning the flash suppressor first so I don't dirty up patches there.

Thanks for any help!
Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great, now I am stuck sitting on the edge of my seat until part 2. When I bought my M1A, I did not expect all the special Lubes, Lube points, and tools required for it as most of my other guns are pretty straight forward. I am really looking forward to the completion of your series so I can get a good solid idea of what is going on with it. I have put about 300 rounds through mine already and have yet to give it a good cleaning.
Your M1A should come with all the tools you need to field strip and clean your M1A. You can find them in the butt of your stock He goes into a lot of disassembly that's not normally needed with normal use. After my time in the USMC with the M-14. We never disassembled the rear sights, bolt or removed the flash suppressor. That could definitely affect your accuracy. The only lube we used was white lithium grease (owl sh! DISHOUT).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Tony, thanks for making these videos. I follow them religiously, but have a question.

I normally shoot about 100-150 rounds per session and my newish rifle has maybe 500 rounds max through it. After I punch the bore with a wire brush and Sweet's 7.62 (10-15x through), I run dry patches until clean. When I put a little CLP on a patch to leave some lubricant in the barrel, suddenly the patches start coming out dirty again, and again, and again.

Should I use two solvents? One for powder and one for copper? I shoot FMJ PPU mostly and I've been pretty good about really cleaning the flash suppressor first so I don't dirty up patches there.

Thanks for any help!
Dave
As a round travels down the barrel it will compress copper, burned and unburned powder into the barrel surface. Using a good bore cleaner is needed then run patches through until clean . I don't follow up with lubricants. I just run patches through on successive days until they come out clean. If you store your rifle in a climate controlled environment you shouldn't have to use a lubricant in the bore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are a wealth of information sir! This newbie M1A owner thanks you so much! I have been around firearms before and finally got the rifle I always drooled over. Your instructional videos have helped tremendously! I have subscribed to your channel and hope you keep up the great work you do!

Thanks!!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts