M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to making a cleaning video. I rambled a lot and the total time is around 45 minutes. I broke it down into 4 parts. I still have to finalize and upload the other three parts but here is part 1:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNKcWNeQzDE[/ame]

Tony.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
You are THE MAN tonyben. I have no doubt that the cleaning video will be just as good if not better than your previous ones.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great, now I am stuck sitting on the edge of my seat until part 2. When I bought my M1A, I did not expect all the special Lubes, Lube points, and tools required for it as most of my other guns are pretty straight forward. I am really looking forward to the completion of your series so I can get a good solid idea of what is going on with it. I have put about 300 rounds through mine already and have yet to give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Some how, "Thanks" doesn't seem to be enough. You rock!!USNA

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
218 Posts
TonyBen, first, let me say that these videos are great. Having only been with my M1A since November it is great to get some insight from someone more experienced.

Secondly, and not to high-jack your thread, but what is the Tamiya product in the background? I am an experienced military model builder and don't meet too many modelers in my day to day life.

·
Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TonyBen, first, let me say that these videos are great. Having only been with my M1A since November it is great to get some insight from someone more experienced.

Secondly, and not to high-jack your thread, but what is the Tamiya product in the background? I am an experienced military model builder and don't meet too many modelers in my day to day life.
Oh, that's just an old box with some old but functional HO scale trains inside. When I was a teen my brother got into RC models and he bought a Hornet racing car. My parents got me a Frog to compete with him. That's where I got the box. The car is long gone as I trashed it many times over the years. I also had a Kyosho Javelin at one point. I salivated over the Tower Hobbies catalog every day.

I'm just waiting now for my son to become of age so we can get back into RC cars and planes. My brother had an ET (gosh, I can't remember who make the kit) as well as a glider called the Sagitta and my step-dad had a Super Chipmunk. By the time I was of the age to pay for this stuff myself, I had joined the Marines and RC models were replaced by drinking and deploying.

Thanks for asking. I had a feeling someone would mention it. GI1

Tony.

5,445 Posts
I have a question... I've been unable to find any flexible steel cable, handled, cleaning rods as shown in your first cleaning video... the one where you state it is made by Sinclair, Intl. I searched Sinclair's website and didn't see anything which looked like that in your video.

Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay, folks. I tried uploading part 3 but it was too long for Youtube at 15:07 so I shortened it last night to 15:00. For some reason, iMovie takes 2 hours to "finalize" a project. I tried uploading again this morning and Youtube wants it shorter than 15 minutes so I had to shave a second off the film and re-finalize it again. I don't have experience with movie making software other than iMovie so I don't know if I'm doing this the hard way.

Tony.

·
Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a question... I've been unable to find any flexible steel cable, handled, cleaning rods as shown in your first cleaning video... the one where you state it is made by Sinclair, Intl. I searched Sinclair's website and didn't see anything which looked like that in your video.

Anyone?
Here... under Home>Cleaning>Patches and Mops>Bore mops>Flexible Chamber Swab Tool...

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/action/chamber-cleaning-tools/flexible-chamber-swab-tool-prod34012.aspx

I just went to Brownells and searched "Chamber Maid" and this popped up.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-kits/cleaning-kit-accessories/chamber-cleaning-kits-prod24195.aspx

Tony.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
subscribed buddy :)

-Sapp

·
Registered
142 Posts
Those are two great tutorials and I am sure even some of us old timers learned something new.

Would have liked to have seen Tony put a stripper clip into the stripper clip guide to lock the bolt back. When a tight patch or bore brush suddenly hits the chamber and the uncontrolled cleaning rod travels through the receiver and hits the bolt face the bolt unlocks and slams shut possibly doing damage.

·
Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those are two great tutorials and I am sure even some of us old timers learned something new.

Would have liked to have seen Tony put a stripper clip into the stripper clip guide to lock the bolt back. When a tight patch or bore brush suddenly hits the chamber and the uncontrolled cleaning rod travels through the receiver and hits the bolt face the bolt unlocks and slams shut possibly doing damage.
I demonstrated that in part 3. :)

I don't think I have an old stripper clip guide in my inventory.

Tony.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've owned my M1A for a little over a year now and I've had trouble cleaning it. I knew I wasn't doing it right. So I tried going on YouTube for "How Too" videos and couldn't find much.
So thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you for posted them on here.. So glad I join this forum.. I'm learning new things all the time.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts