M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so gearing up to mas produce my own reloads for my m1a using my new dillion 650, and sell my remaining factory rounds

notice my rifle leaves a small line on my brass diagnally about half way down -1/3rd the way down from shoulder thats .1"-.125" long .

about 1/2 the time to 2/3rds the time

is this just par for the course with loading this semi auto or is there a way i can fix it-sanding something down,replacing a part ,more grease .etc etc.

im not that proficient on intricate gunparts.

thanx for your time

·
Registered
241 Posts
Most if not all semi auto' rifles are pretty rough on the brass. The only thing that might help some is smoothing out any sharp edges on the reciever that the brass hits when ejected. Not much else you can do about it. It's the nature of the beast....

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
The operating rod has a big block on it, just ahead of the handle, that is designed to knock the ejected brass forward and to the right. The edges of the block will just about always put a ding in your brass.

Counting the dings is how I check to see how many times a case has been fired. RNGR1

Watch this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5GG2q7vvo[/ame]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agreed....these things are rough on brass and you'll get a low and finite number of reloadings out of your brass. Maybe don't be so quick to sell off the factory stuff just yet unless you can profit enough to buy LC once-fired or even new cases. I have just begun experiments with a Schuster adjustable gas plug and so far have noticed that it really does help make things go a bit easier on brass. So far. Will it give another cycle or three out of the brass? Time will tell.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The operating rod has a big block on it, just ahead of the handle, that is designed to knock the ejected brass forward and to the right. The edges of the block will just about always put a ding in your brass.

Counting the dings is how I check to see how many times a case has been fired. RNGR1

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5GG2q7vvo
oh wow,that video got me all hot and bothered ....i could $%^&* off to that.LMAO.thanx guys. yeah ok . maybe ill keep that stuff then . i dunno. i got 300 more casings coming so either or is feasible,im using PPU/Privi 308 brass. i dont think i get LC brass up here -thats lake city match stuff right as in made match ammo for the snipers in Nam too right ?

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Lake City (LC headstamp) is the most common manufacturer for standard M80 Ball ammunition. They have also made some of the Long Range ammo (LC LR) over the years as well.

The standard LC cases aren't as consistent as Norma or Lapua, but they are strong as hell and will last a good number of loadings. They were designed to resist stretching in large M14 chambers.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If you don't mind refinishing your op rod you can machine, file, grind, belt sand, or polish a flat where the outside corner of the op rod block is. The flat will do far less impact on the case.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
STOP!!! so simple a Caveman can do it...............

#1. take bolt apart.
#2. cut, trim, clip. two coils off the ejector spring.
#3. polish the inside lip of the extractor, that where it contacts the top of the case's rim.
#4. use 30.06 case and reassemble bolt.
#5. retest/refire at range.
#6. No thanks needed PM me for address too send Thank You funds?

You will never potty train a M1 or M1a, but its enough too change the ejection angle and keep from beating/dinging up your brass.

·
Registered
143 Posts

#1. take bolt apart.
#3. polish the inside lip of the extractor, that where it contacts the top of the case's rim.

You will never potty train a M1 or M1a, but its enough too change the ejection angle and keep from beating/dinging up your brass.
I can second this. Removing two coils works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

#1. take bolt apart.

I prefer to shoot about 1500 rounds or so. Mine stopped around 900 on a new extractor. Also started putting brass in one place around 500 or so.

But that will work too.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bam! oh man .finally got her put back together , what a pain in the a$$, i didnt want to remove scope and base so i couldnt do the 30-06 trick .had to reassemble bolt pushing down hard with punch on the extracter spring /pin while the wife worked the "side spring" with a flat screwdriver as i pushed the extracter in.

that side spring thing between the roller and extracter really gave me grief.

shot off about 5 times,very lucky seen where both landed every time.whew .

neverwanna do that again or ill will just remove the darn scope and base. extractor spring is clipped and did some minor polishing .mission accomplished

thanx guys.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Or you can use the spring out of a M1Carbine in lieu of cutting a M14 spring and it makes the empties drop about three feet to your right. Learned this by accident when I thoughtlessly mixed up my pile of ejectors and springs.

NN

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Just keep in mind that the M14, as the M1 Garand, was designed so that the empties are knocked in front of the soldier next to you, not ejected at his face. RNGR2

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
bam! oh man .finally got her put back together , what a pain in the a$$, i didnt want to remove scope and base so i couldnt do the 30-06 trick .had to reassemble bolt pushing down hard with punch on the extracter spring /pin while the wife worked the "side spring" with a flat screwdriver as i pushed the extracter in.

that side spring thing between the roller and extracter really gave me grief.

shot off about 5 times,very lucky seen where both landed every time.whew .

neverwanna do that again or ill will just remove the darn scope and base. extractor spring is clipped and did some minor polishing .mission accomplished

thanx guys.

See, it worked. Took all of maybe 15min and you spent some quality time with the Wife and didn't spend one nickel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts