M14 Forum banner

M14 Bolt Markings

2909 22
Bill

I'd like to ask you about a bolt on a pre-ban I bought some time ago, it reads "7790185" with just a "SA" underneath it. This leaves me to wonder where is the heat treatment code is. Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bill[/b]
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had seen something like that on the Battlerifles site. This is on an older rifle, Serial # 14XXX. The whole rifle is SA except for the hammer, an HR, and the barrel which I can't see anything but a Geneseo something or another that my 48 year old eyes can hardly make out. The rifle shoote very well.

Bill[/i]

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lack of a Heat Treatment Lot number is what got me wondering. The parkerizinf is a kinda of a greenish color, if this helps. Pretty sure it's GI, I don't think SA Inc, was making bolts back then.

Bill

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called SA Inc again today and spoke with another lady. She checked the serial number and came to the same conclusion, that the reciever was not made by the Springfield of Illinois, but rather by the Springfield before 1974 in Texas. It seems that the reciever was bought with all the machinary etc and moved to Illinois and assembled there. That's the guess they gave me today. I will send it in to have the bolt replaced and they will do a history of it there.

Bill

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a follow up. Today I learned that the rifle was made in July 17 of 1980. Heck, it's 23 years old.
I sent SA Inc. a GI bolt to replae the "recalled" bolt and they fitted it and turned it around pretty quick, left today, July 28. They swear that the new SA Inc bolts are "Forged and Machined".

Bill

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Redbone, that was a good grab! There is not significance to the 66118 code at all. Wichester went by a lot of markings, more than even H&R (aka HRA HRN etc). Winchester also is known as OM and some more, but I don't that info here at work. Good find.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.