M14 Forum banner

M14 Bolt Markings

2912 22
Bill

I'd like to ask you about a bolt on a pre-ban I bought some time ago, it reads "7790185" with just a "SA" underneath it. This leaves me to wonder where is the heat treatment code is. Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bill[/b]
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,449 Posts
I don't know. SA, Inc. had a bad batch of bolts about 20 years ago. It may pay to call them and inquire as to how they were marked.

As far as the part number 7790185 even the picture showing the bolt in SA's report on the T44E4 from 1955, has a heat lot number underneath the part number and SA mark.

It could have been left off, things like that do happen. I just don't know. If I could see a picture I may be able to tell by the font size.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
Quagmire is correct. The 85 bolts were produced under the drawing number ending in 85, which is a stripped bolt. 85 bolts were produced by SA, HRA, and WRA, but not TRW.

The 86 bolts were produced under the drawing number ending in 86, which treats the bolt as an assembly. With the bolt roller hassles, it was decided to stock, store, inventory and issue them as assemblies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.