M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill

I'd like to ask you about a bolt on a pre-ban I bought some time ago, it reads "7790185" with just a "SA" underneath it. This leaves me to wonder where is the heat treatment code is. Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bill[/b]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had seen something like that on the Battlerifles site. This is on an older rifle, Serial # 14XXX. The whole rifle is SA except for the hammer, an HR, and the barrel which I can't see anything but a Geneseo something or another that my 48 year old eyes can hardly make out. The rifle shoote very well.

Bill[/i]

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
that is an early bolt with no roller on it.
I am aware that the drawing number is for an early bolt without the roller installed. What I was referrring to is the lack of a heat lot. I don't remember seeing a GI bolt missing a heat lot.

·
Registered
846 Posts
ah ok bill. i've found with surplus anything is possible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lack of a Heat Treatment Lot number is what got me wondering. The parkerizinf is a kinda of a greenish color, if this helps. Pretty sure it's GI, I don't think SA Inc, was making bolts back then.

Bill

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I don't know. SA, Inc. had a bad batch of bolts about 20 years ago. It may pay to call them and inquire as to how they were marked.

As far as the part number 7790185 even the picture showing the bolt in SA's report on the T44E4 from 1955, has a heat lot number underneath the part number and SA mark.

It could have been left off, things like that do happen. I just don't know. If I could see a picture I may be able to tell by the font size.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Mr Ricca

You are right on the money honey. I just got off the phone with SA and the bolt IS a "recalled" bolt. They want me to send the rifle in to have a new bolt fitted, they would not tell me if it would be a cast or GI, but if I send in a GI they will fit it. I gave them the rifle serial number, 14XXX, and they said it was made by the Government Springfield (413-734-8551 ext223) before 1974. Any idea what this menas?
Where is the best place to buy a bolt?

Thanks a million
Bill

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
and they said it was made by the Government Springfield
If they mean the rifle was made at Springfield Armory in Mass then the rifle has to be legally classified as a machine gun and they would be required to have paperwork clearance for you to send it to them. I think you either misunderstood them, or somebody on the phone hasn't a clue on how to identify GI rifles. If the rifle were a GI rifle then your description of Pre-Ban would be a mute point. I wish I knew what was in the mind of the person you spoke to, but I can't help.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The lady, I forgot her name, just said that the rifle was made by the "Government" Springfield Armory sometime before 1974, an she gave me their number, but they are not open on Mondays. The rifle has all SA GI parts except the Hammer (HR) and the barrell, which I can only read "Genosia ...." so it looks like they put it together, hell they sent me a RMA number to have a new bolt installed. So bizarre.

Bill

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Bill: I haven't any idea as to what she is referring to. Government Springfield, to me, means Springfield Armory in Mass. I am confident you know the difference, I have doubts about her.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called SA Inc again today and spoke with another lady. She checked the serial number and came to the same conclusion, that the reciever was not made by the Springfield of Illinois, but rather by the Springfield before 1974 in Texas. It seems that the reciever was bought with all the machinary etc and moved to Illinois and assembled there. That's the guess they gave me today. I will send it in to have the bolt replaced and they will do a history of it there.

Bill

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a follow up. Today I learned that the rifle was made in July 17 of 1980. Heck, it's 23 years old.
I sent SA Inc. a GI bolt to replae the "recalled" bolt and they fitted it and turned it around pretty quick, left today, July 28. They swear that the new SA Inc bolts are "Forged and Machined".

Bill

·
Registered
209 Posts
I found an early Winchester bolt at a show recently, it is marked,
A
Were there any problems with these early bolts? It looks new, not re-parkerized, has the punch prick on top and the electro pencil "m" on the underneath. I take it that the A represents the heat lot number? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it is a Winchester USGI, and it would have to be to say Winchester, then it is good to go. How much is/was it?

Bill

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bill, It does not say Winchester, but it has the code 66118 on it, which was a winchester marking. I know it is GI, I just wondered if there was a problem they encountered, and then swithced numbers? A neat, early bolt anyway. I paid $45.00 for it , and it is complete and looks new, maybe racked back and forth in a rifle a couple of times, but new none the less. I saw it just when the CMP ran out of bolts and grabbed it up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Redbone, that was a good grab! There is not significance to the 66118 code at all. Wichester went by a lot of markings, more than even H&R (aka HRA HRN etc). Winchester also is known as OM and some more, but I don't that info here at work. Good find.

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts