M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently found a place selling norinco m14 bipods for 39.95. have read several posts on various boards about the bipod damaging the stock and the norincos being little better than junk. picked one up and went to work. cut the welds on the lock plates wth a die grinder and mig welded the plates as they should be, in line with each other and the same angle. the latch cutout when the legs are folded up was uneven so a dremel tool reground the cutouts in the same place on the lockplates 1/16 inch further out than the original cutouts. i did not grind the cutouts as big as the originals and this tightened up the bipod immensely. a spring washer on the sling loop took out that rattle. with the legs folded up, i now have one inch clearance on either side of the stock giving adequate clearance for the pivot even when folded up. this also gave me enough clearance to grab the forend for off hand shooting should i decide not to use the bipod. time spent was about one hour and the result is amazing. a snug fitting bipod that is practically rattle free yet very functional. have plans to purchase another one and see what i must do to attach it to a 1 inch bull barreled 308.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Harley Guy:

Leave to you to come up with a simple but effective solution... Very Cool, Sir! That is pretty neat... and it cost ya a whole $39.95... :lol:

I hope you will post some pics of this modified bipod... and maybe it can be put in the "archives" for future reference... that would be cool! :lol:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have ordered a couple of more of the nornco bipods. when they get here i will do one and take some pics as i do it. maybe it will help somebody out. have also found some metal plate the same thickness as on the bipod and may make some plates so repositioning wont be required, just cut off the old plates and install the new. will keep you informed.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Harley Guy:

I apologize, but I have invited others on BR.Com who asked about this very situation (legs hitting the forearm)... and told them to see your post.

I hope that is was okay...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no problem here, if anyone is interested the place to get those bipods is cdnninvestments.com. i have purchased two more, one for my bull barrel 308 and one for my other poly. will attach one to the stock on my bull gun but have to make some sort of mounting rod for it to clamp to. my other poly bipod is even tighter now than the first one. absolutely no rattles in any postion, infact it may be too stiff. have take a lot of photos but they keep coming up too big. have to figure out what i am doing wrong before i can show you how simple it is. if anyone is interested in making a rifle stock and you are in texas, try the canton flea market for wood. some of the most beautiful grained wood i have seen can be bought there for pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha HG:

Thanks for the heads up on the wood! Maybe I can get RG45 or someone to cruise by this place for me... 8O

Just kidding Roy, unless you live near this place... :lol:

Aloha again, HG...

Tom O.

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
larry408, over @ BRBB coated the legs of his with rubber, so no scratches. He has a thread over there. I've seen it live & in person. It worked really well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have seen that thread and didnt like the idea because the legs still would contact the wood. after my modification, the legs are one inch away from the stock evenly on both sides. if he is happy with the rubber coated lgs then that is his preference and if a man is happy, then more power to him. this is just my preference and in no way is meant to rain on his or anybody elses parade. just my idea and if anyone is interested i will help them modify theirs.

·
Banned
611 Posts
I guess noone on here ever bought a e2 or any other gi stock with dings in it from a GI bipod. It is very common on the E2 stocks to be that way. Unless it has been sanded. I have a gi and a chineese bipod and they are close enough to each other that i don't complain. The GI bipod actualy hits the stock more than the chineese does. I just wish the chineese one had the 3/8 nut instead of the allen nut.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have purchased over the years approximately 30 m14 stocks. three of those mentioned were e2 stocks. yes, there was bipod dings on some of the stocks and i dont care for the damage to the stock after i refinish it. all i did was take a cheap chinese bipod and modify it so that if someone has a beautifully grained or striped stock they can mount a bipod without fear of damaging their hard work. none of the bipods i have purchased have an allen nut, they all have an allen bolt, have never seen an allen nut in 35 years of mechanical and machinist experience. did not post this modification for sarcastic replys from someone who doesnt even know the difference between a nut and a bolt.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
That was mighty white of you to point out my typo like some self proclaimed know it all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do not want to start an arguement on this forum or get in some kind of intelligence match with anyone. i do not think that i am a know it all, my theory is if a person doesnt learn something everyday then that day is lost. i have accumulated a lot of knowledge and good advise from this forum and want to keep it that way. as far as pointing out typo errors, i was merely reading your post as posted, allen nuts do not exist and was merely pointing out that fact so someone would not get confused as to what is exactly on the bipods.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Check your Fire....Check yoor Fire :!: :!: :!:
I will lock down this thread in a heartbeat if the personal bickering doesn't stop. We are all here for the purpose of exchanging ideas. There is no reason for curt words over anyone's preferences. All ideas are welcome and encouraged. We may all learn something. And by the way we all make typos.....lets Please keep it friendly. I think you can both agree to disagree and leave it at that. :D

The Range Officer

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
m2 bi-pod

When I was in viet Nam we all turned our bi-pods around and had the legs fold up forward toward the flash suppressor. That way we could use the hand guard freely. The bi-pod has no real direction to the mounting place on the gas piston housing. Try it you may like it a little better. .... Twiggy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts