M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my local club had an IDPA rifle match today. Basically it was an IDPA match shot with rifles instead of handguns. Shots were mostly <1 to 15 yards, with one stage having 50 yard shots. I started the match shooting my AR-15, but it blew a gas ring and started short stroking. I had my short barreled folding stock LRB M14 as backup and used it for the rest of the match.

It functioned beautifully, and accuracy was much improved over what I was doing with the AR. Granted, that had nothing to do with the accuracy of the rifles and everything to do with recoil. The 14 thumped me quite a bit more, giving me more time to aim, as opposed to just pulling the trigger with the AR.

My only complaint was the requirement to use the same number of shots at the guys running 5.56 or even 9mm rifles. In some 3-gun matches full power rifles only require one shot per silhouette instead of multiple for the 5.56. Having to triple tap the head of a silhouette when literally touching the muzzle to the target is unnecessary IMO.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I arrived at a private range when the owner told some personal protective guys practicing to put me in the rotation. All I had was an M1 Garand and a 1066 smith... So there I went doing just like you with double taps at 25 yards with a Garand.

I didn't think much of it till I related that to an old retired operator that reminded me double taps came about with minor caliber arms, waste of ammo with a 30 cal rifle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I arrived at a private range when the owner told some personal protective guys practicing to put me in the rotation. All I had was an M1 Garand and a 1066 smith... So there I went doing just like you with double taps at 25 yards with a Garand.

I didn't think much of it till I related that to an old retired operator that reminded me double taps came about with minor caliber arms, waste of ammo with a 30 cal rifle.
So, does that mean 50bmg double taps are overkill?USN5

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at my split times compared to my peers, I did just a well with the M14 as I did with the AR. The extra speed from the AR negated by the accuracy of the M14 when shooting.

The main difference is, I had a much bigger smile when shooting the 14.BGRIN1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts