M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't usually introduce myself on forums, but I thought I would relate my experiences with the M14. I started shooting small bore rifle at around 14 years, eventually took up high power rifle when I acquired a rifle M1. My first experience with the rifle M14 was at the National Rifle and Pistol Matches in 1965 which was the first year the rifle M14 NM was made available to the competitors, and I really liked the M14. In 1970 during Military Police advanced training we used M14s both in field exercises and for qualification. Most of the rifles we used were semi-automatic only, but I was issued a select-fire rifle, and had the opportunity during field exercises to fire the rifle full auto (with blank cartridges). Years later I acquired a rifle M1A and retired my M1. For two years in the 1980s I was on the state Army National Guard rifle team and was issued M14 NM serial number 18776, which I really enjoyed shooting especially with free ammunition. I've owned three M1As, and assisted a couple of friends assemble rifles. The one M1A I still have is on display at the headquarters of the National Guard division, along with other long arms, masquerading as an M14.

My ROTC sergeant in high school mentioned that he had an M14 that was especially accurate until he struck the barrel on the tailgate of a truck while dismounting, and the rifle wouldn’t hold a group after that.

At the National Matches in 1965 the Army provided a class on the M14. During the class the sergeant giving the class stated the M14 was a direct descendant of the rifle M1. I mention that I thought because of the short stroke gas piston M14 could be more accurately described as a descendant if the carbine M1. He didn't much appreciate that and gave me a deprecating look but didn't say anything more about the subject. I'm sure to most people looking at the appearance of the receiver and bolt that would be a logical conclusion.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,613 Posts
Welcome on board RT Ellis, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great week. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you Sir.

DI5

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Welcome and Thanks RT !

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome from MN and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't normally welcome people who don't introduce themselves in one way on another, but since you've made your posts, I will give you a Hoosier Welcome from Central Indiana. :>)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.