M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Although it's still a while from hunting season I'm debating what I should hit my Moose with this year.

m14s 180g iron site (newb accuracy so far, so 100-150 yards max) if I get a lot a range time in, maybe 200.

or 7mm Rem Mag 150g. Reason for 150g is that my Bushnell 3x9 600 yard DOA reticle is made for the 150g 7mm rem mag round.

So the questions are:
1. Will the m14 180g drop a moose no problem?
2. Will the 7mm rem mag 150g drop a moose no problem?
3. Should I hit it with a larger rem mag grain at 100 yards?
4. Which one should I use?
5. Teach newbie hunter something else.

I'll have both on hand for hunting season, just wondering what grain loads I should load up with and which gun I should hunt what with. (Deer, elk, moose etc.)

P.S. the 150 grain bullet I will use for the 7mm Rem Mag is the Nosler Trophy Grade

Thank you in advance!

BIGTHUMPUP

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Here is a link from the Alaska state game and fish about this.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

Shot placement is more important then the difference between these 2 ammo choices.

I can tell you that I've never shot a moose but my 308 drops elk, deer or bear (black bear, never shot a grizz) like a brick. I thinks it's useful to think like a bow hunter sometimes, we tend to think about large game and start thinking really large calibers, however bow hunters take all manner of large game with a broad head that does not have the energy or speed of a bullet, it's all about the arrow placement and the damage it does to the vitals, a good shot placement with the right type of bullet (expanding ect.) even wit a smaller projectile will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would load up some Nosler Partitions in either gun. Maybe use 165s in the 308 to keep op rod happy.

P.S. you will not be shooting a Moose at 600 yds. Sight in at two hundred and any moose out to two fifty requires no hold over/under.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I see Mad Trapper has brought up a point you may not be aware of , The M1A/M14 has a diet that needs to be observed . The M14 was designed to use military ammo which is in the 140/150gr range ,the receiver and bolt will handle heavier loads , however using loads over 175gr. , you are exceeding the design limits for the operating rod and could cause yourself some serious problems. So stay away from bullets over 175grain. Like six clicks says shot placement is the key .

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I've shot probably 2000+ 175s through mine how are a dozen 180gr bullets (figure shoot 10 to zero it and 1-2 for his animal) going to hurt it? The pressure data for 180s and 175s is nearly identical even with the shorter COAL that they use. Look up H4895 on their site for 175s and 180s if you don't believe me.

Anyways...I would want more rifle than either. 30-06 or 8mm mauser with a BIG bullet at least. But I suppose that 7mm or 308 could work with proper shop placement and the BEST hunting bullet you can afford. 180 partition is my favorite and I've seen no reason to use anything else.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For hunting I would use the scoped 7mm Rem mag. I have a Browning Safari bolt action in 7mm Rem mag. It is a very capable hunting rifle. No matter what animal we are hunting, we have an obligation to make a clean kill the first priority. For me a scoped rifle makes fulfilling that obligation more certain.

If you feel confident that you can make an anchoring shot with your iron sighted M14 then yes it will do the job. But remember things are very different shooting in the bush compared to the range.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Nosler partition is one helluva bullet.

I would use my Mauser 8 mm js. Nosler 200gr partition.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
read the OP

I've shot probably 2000+ 175s through mine how are a dozen 180gr bullets (figure shoot 10 to zero it and 1-2 for his animal) going to hurt it? The pressure data for 180s and 175s is nearly identical even with the shorter COAL that they use. Look up H4895 on their site for 175s and 180s if you don't believe me.

Anyways...I would want more rifle than either. 30-06 or 8mm mauser with a BIG bullet at least. But I suppose that 7mm or 308 could work with proper shop placement and the BEST hunting bullet you can afford. 180 partition is my favorite and I've seen no reason to use anything else.
The reason it was mentioned at all , the OP stated he was planning on trying 200gr bullets next, hence the heads up. Both for his safety and to keep him from wasting his $$ . Yes 5 grains is nbd. A 200gr. bullet however is pushing it way too much.

Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Lived in Alaska for a while and did shoot couple caribou w/ 308 M1A/165gr soft point but for moose used the old faithful '06 w/ 220gr Remington Core Lock round(exposed lead point with petal appearance.) Don't know if moose in your area are as big as the ones in Alaska, might be, but they need to be hit hard and deep so to speak. From my experience always confronted with lots of brush/limbs, or small trees and trying to find opening to place shot not easy. Early on was told by long time Alaskan hunter whatever you do don't shoot if you can not see it's feet!! Moose being as big as they are and if standing in swampy mess some 2-3' deep and you do shoot him, you are in for a long day and probably night getting him out of that mess. As for caliber/load, I would suggest 7mmMag and opt for heavier bullet, say 175gr bullet that will not fragment on penetration. You need to break him down at least for first shot and have time for second follow up shot just in case. Bring bone saw and couple sharp knives and game bags for meat, save the nose, good eating. Hope you have good hunting.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
And do not shoot one who is in the Water! You will be very sorry!

I have read the Indians in Maine used to use a .22 and would slip it in between the ribs to the heart to get them. This being said i would not recommend it nor would be , i suspect legal but with a Biggen (or any Game) Shot Placement is key with!

Reactions: SeeDMedic

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The 7 mag is hard to beat when it comes to knock down power and ballistics but don't let the bullet make up for poor hunting. I think too many guys get lazy and depend on ballistics to make the long shot instead of taking the time to spot and stock, then take a reasonable shot with good placement. At that, the bullet becomes secondary. JMNTBHO

·
Registered
893 Posts
I can take a moose with my 54 or 58 ML w/PRB. Try hornady 0.530/0.570 swaged balls, 100-110 gr FFg, 0.018 pillow ticking, and wonder wad. Will kill, dead is dead.

That being said a 308 is overKILL.

HIT your target. Moose won't care if it is a 7mm or 30 cal, or well placed PRB.

Practice. Ten shots with a new load is NOT practice.

Ten shot may hurt your op rod with the WRONG load.

I have some hot 180gr nosler partition 30-06 rounds worked up for my pre-64 M70 using 55gr IMR 4350 ( just starts to well flatten the primer to the bolt). Anyone here want to try one in their M1 and see what happens? This is an analogy.

P.S. My Avitar is a 5-shot ML group with open sights (dead aim center, 50 yds, < 1 inch group), you want to be a Moose at 100?

P.P.S. Traditional ML , not an inline that take suppositories made of plastic

P.P.P.S. Be a HUNTER not a SNIPER. Snipers often miss and give real Hunters a bad rep. If you can stalk a deer with a bow, then you might be a hunter. Don't shoot a moose near water. Dressing a 1000-lb animal in a swamp is nothing you will do again.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
So the questions are:
1. Will the m14 180g drop a moose no problem?
2. Will the 7mm rem mag 150g drop a moose no problem?
3. Should I hit it with a larger rem mag grain at 100 yards?
4. Which one should I use?
5. Teach newbie hunter something else.
Answers:
1. Yes, but as others have stated, be careful on load or risk damage to your rifle.
2. Yes.
3. No need. If placed right, that 7RemMag should take it down at even 400yds.
4. If given the selection, I'd use the 7RemMag. But that's me.
5. Shot placement is key. Avoid gut shots at all possible cost unless you want to find a smelly mess after tracking the animal a few miles through the woods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the info!

I was unware of the grain diet for the m14. I know my manual states it likes the actual NATO rounds. (7.62x51) I'll stop buying the 180g federals its had so far.

The moose in the mountains are pretty big, not Alaskan big but close. The one's where I grew up (Northern Alberta) are just as big and plentiful. Just put a large grill guard on an old truck and you can hunt where I grew up on moose meat.

And yes I had a moose last year in my sights on my buddies 30-06 but there were a few twigs and branches in the way. Decided not to take the shot.

Will defiantly not shoot a moose or any mid/large size game in muskeg or water now. Thinking I will only shoot a moose with the m14 within 50 yards now.

Thank you all for the replies. :ARM34:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
If you are shooting .308 Win out of the usual Canadian/Chinese M14, you should check your head space as most of these Canadian import M14s are quite long.
SOME ARE WELL INTO 7.62 NATO TERRITORY.

Usually No big deal,
BUT,
if you are shooting 180 gr Win .308 ammo,
be aware that the factory .308 Win loads with heavier bullets may use slower powders.
The CHAMBER PRESSURE with these heavier loads and slower powders may be within safe margins,
BUT,
THE RESIDUAL PRESSURE AT THE GAS PORT MAY BE TOO HIGH FOR LONG TERM DURABILITY AS THESE LOADS CAN BEAT UP THE OP ROD AND POSSIBLY EVEN THE BOLT AND RECEIVER, AND THERE MAY EVEN BE SAFETY CONCERNS.

Last time I saw factory new Federal once fired 180 Gr Win SP cases that had been fired out of a Chinese M14, I noticed immediately that several of the necks were split and the primers were cratered. Well beyond what I consider safe margins.
[;(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought some 150g Winchester FMJ's and had two jams with the ammo. They ended up getting caught on ejection from the chamber and this is only 10 bullets into the pack. I plan on trying some 150g SP federals and 147g MFS steel case FMJ's to see if I get a better results.

And yes this is a Norinco M14

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see Mad Trapper has brought up a point you may not be aware of , The M1A/M14 has a diet that needs to be observed . The M14 was designed to use military ammo which is in the 140/150gr range ,the receiver and bolt will handle heavier loads , however using loads over 175gr. , you are exceeding the design limits for the operating rod and could cause yourself some serious problems. So stay away from bullets over 175grain. Like six clicks says shot placement is the key .
If U do shoot loads heaver than Military issue Nato rounds U will need to replace your gas piston with a Sadlak grooved piston to reduce stress on op rod when shooting 168 gr pills. I would not shoot anything heaver than 168gr.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts