M14 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Winchester ammo is too expensive for me to even think about trying right now.
Ammo labeled (X)M118LR from federal or Lake City has worked well in my bolt guns. You can get better results with them if you take a caliper and bullet comparator, and sort bulk ammo into batches with seating depth ranging up to 4/1000ths. The biggest spread I’ve seen with bulk M118LR is 20/1000th seating depth. Doing this brought down ES and SD, and group size.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
A question for those that are familiar with M118LR -

Is the current Winchester "M118LR Long Range, 175gr Sierra Match King BTHP Service Grade" a match grade ammo equal to, or better than, Federal GMM?

Comments on this ammo seem to suggest it's not match grade.

Is there a different M118LR available that is match grade?

I'm looking for the best commercial .308 175gr ammo for my bolt gun. I have a long range shooting class coming up in Oct, and want to test a few different 175gr loads. I'm not ready to start reloading .308 quite yet, so I have some 175 GMM and 175 Lapua Scenar-L to test before the class. It was suggested that M118LR should be included as well.

At a similar class I shot 168 GMM at 600 yds, and it was pretty solid, but this next class has over 1000 yds available and by most accounts the 175s would be a better choice at that distance.

I realize 1000 yds may be pushing it with my set-up (Savage Model 10 FCP HS Precision, SWFA 12x, and commercial ammo), and I'm not expecting anything amazing, but I hope to achieve reasonable accuracy.

Thanks.

View attachment 458154
shoot it and see how it does. if you can hit an 8" gong at 800 yds youre good to go.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts