M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those that are familiar with M118LR -

Is the current Winchester "M118LR Long Range, 175gr Sierra Match King BTHP Service Grade" a match grade ammo equal to, or better than, Federal GMM?

Comments on this ammo seem to suggest it's not match grade.

Is there a different M118LR available that is match grade?

I'm looking for the best commercial .308 175gr ammo for my bolt gun. I have a long range shooting class coming up in Oct, and want to test a few different 175gr loads. I'm not ready to start reloading .308 quite yet, so I have some 175 GMM and 175 Lapua Scenar-L to test before the class. It was suggested that M118LR should be included as well.

At a similar class I shot 168 GMM at 600 yds, and it was pretty solid, but this next class has over 1000 yds available and by most accounts the 175s would be a better choice at that distance.

I realize 1000 yds may be pushing it with my set-up (Savage Model 10 FCP HS Precision, SWFA 12x, and commercial ammo), and I'm not expecting anything amazing, but I hope to achieve reasonable accuracy.

Thanks.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
512 Posts
I’d be more willing to try this and save the brass if it’s for a class.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barrels have ammo preferences for reasons unknown, only way to determine preference is careful testing at a range. Gold Medal Match is generally very good ammo, but some barrels have different preferences… My 2cts.
Based on my basic testing with 168gr GMM, and the results at 600yds, I would say my rifle does like GMM.

I don't have a lot of rounds downrange with this set-up, and I'm a fairly new rifle shooter, so I'm looking for pretty good right now. I realize to really maximize accuracy I will need to reload and test carefully - which is on the to-do list.

The Jerk on the trigger may be the weakest link at this point.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
I was never impressed with the Lake City M118LR in an M1A. I found Federal M762M2 to be better.

If you are using a bolt rifle, I would consider Black Hills or Berger.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
That's why I'm asking if there is another M118LR I should be looking for.
Long Range M118 ammunition - commonly referred to as M118LR - is intended primarily for use in high accucracy weapons like the M24, M40, M110, M14 etc. It is not intended as a match cartridge even though it uses match grade cases..

As noted above, if you want ammo specifically intended for match usage, Federal, Black Hills and Berger sell that type of ammo.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Savage HS Precision, SWFA 12x, and commercial ammo)
That setup is fine for your 1K class. I started F-class Long-range with basically a similar setup. We have a few guys use the same Savage and they do well enough. 12x will allow you to see the target.

Definitely test out commercial 175 or 185 gr offerings from FGMM, Black hills, Prime, etc. Your rifle will show a preference. Better to test at 300yds if possible, 100 is too short to really define a preference. Look for a stable/flat elevation and ignore wind or windage.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
From my experience the FGM match ammo is excellent and viewed so by many experienced long range shooters. I reload all of my ammunition but if it were not for the expense of the GMM would gladly use it all the time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That setup is fine for your 1K class. I started F-class Long-range with basically a similar setup. We have a few guys use the same Savage and they do well enough. 12x will allow you to see the target.

Definitely test out commercial 175 or 185 gr offerings from FGMM, Black hills, Prime, etc. Your rifle will show a preference. Better to test at 300yds if possible, 100 is too short to really define a preference. Look for a stable/flat elevation and ignore wind or windage.
That was my next question -

I have only 100 yards available to test, and was wondering if the best group at 100 was going to translate to the best group at 1000.

My Savage doesn't have a threaded barrel. Is it worth threading the barrel to be able to use a brake or tuner?

My intention is to eventually compete with my set-up, most likely in mid-range (600 yd) matches for starters.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
That was my next question -

I have only 100 yards available to test, and was wondering if the best group at 100 was going to translate to the best group at 1000.
No. The aerodynamics of the bullet and how they are affected by velocity really don't become noticeable until you get beyond 3-400 meters.

That's why many competition shooters use light, flat base bullets out to 300. They tend to have better accuracy at close range than the heavy, boat tail bullets used for longer ranges.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Kurt's answer is dead on. They're all going to look "good" at 100. One that looks better at 100 may not necessarily do better at 1k. Regardless, if you have to gamble and pick one, any of the good choices out there will work. If one brand holds 1 moa and another is 3/4 moa, and another is 1-1/4 moa.....in the grand scheme of things it still hits steel, right?

@jkv45 you ask about brakes, they do help but are not really necessary. The idea of recoil management is to keep the scope on target and help spot your impacts. In a class you should have a spotter call your shots and give corrections. NRA competition forbids brakes, and they aren't necessary since every shot is recorded and shown.

Brakes come handy in PRS and self spotting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not had any Winchester M118LR come through my hands yet, I can tell you that we settled on Hornady #8105. This was after testing several match grade factory ammo, the FGGM 175 grain and the Hornday #8105 shot the best through a variety of rifles. The reason we went with Hornady because the bullet has a better BC and the powder was a little better with temperature stability.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Savage doesn't have a threaded barrel. Is it worth threading the barrel to be able to use a brake or tuner?

I have a .308 and 22-250 that use these clamp on brakes, and have worked just fine. I have plenty of high priced threaded brakes so the clamp on brakes are being compared to other quality items. I didn’t want to pay to thread some of my barrels so this route worked perfect.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have not had any Winchester M118LR come through my hands yet, I can tell you that we settled on Hornady #8105. This was after testing several match grade factory ammo, the FGGM 175 grain and the Hornday #8105 shot the best through a variety of rifles. The reason we went with Hornady because the bullet has a better BC and the powder was a little better with temperature stability.
Did you test velocity with the Hornady?

Some have said it's significantly slower than advertised.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was right there with FGGM, I don’t have my DOPE with me but we didn’t notice any abnormalities with it. We’ve been using it for several years now…

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(SNIP)
I have a .308 and 22-250 that use these clamp on brakes, and have worked just fine. I have plenty of high priced threaded brakes so the clamp on brakes are being compared to other quality items. I didn’t want to pay to thread some of my barrels so this route worked perfect.
I had considered one, but they kinda get a bad rap with the bigger calibers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had considered one, but they kinda get a bad rap with the bigger calibers.
My magnum cartridges all have threaded barrels and APA brakes but my clamp ons have never moved or came loose. I personally don’t consider 308 a bigger caliber but it’s obviously all relative to what you are around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts