M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an all HRA Garand a few months back a local guy was selling--it was a CMP Service Grade Special. I like these a lot--almost like having a brand-new, off-the-assembly-line rifle. Came with new CMP Walnut furniture, but I wanted something a bit different. Had purchased a CMP take-off birch furniture set from someone who wanted USGI wood. Spent some time at my workbench, and just completed working on the furniture set a few days ago.

Here are a few pics:

Now, need to get her out to the range!

·
Premium Member
20,442 Posts
Excellent.
I bought a few Service Grade Specials both H&R and SA when they were available. Collector grade metal with new CMP wood. I will , in this lifetime ,never wear out the IHC shooter that I use, but they are there for backup in a future life. Then there are the CMP Specials that followed them. I like to keep the Garand safe full so nothing can fall over.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Most excellant!

Reactions: Duce

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That is a fine looking rifle!

Reactions: Duce

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I keep going back to stare at her.. Please tell, what did you use on that stock?
After stripping it down and sanding, I used a variety of water-based and alcohol-based stains, including Rit brown, Stu-Mac Vintage Amber and Feibings medium brown. Finished it all off with several coats of Boiled Linseed Oil.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
After stripping it down and sanding, I used a variety of water-based and alcohol-based stains, including Rit brown, Stu-Mac Vintage Amber and Feibings medium brown. Finished it all off with several coats of Boiled Linseed Oil.
Why so many different coloring dyes? We're you trying to achieve a certain color or is that your usual application of coloring dyes?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.