M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you folks use the M1 thumbsaver, I personally like it since I've installed it on my H&R Garand. I don't know if it is just me but it seems to have helped with feeding issues, probably because the clip isn't flying out and getting dinged up anymore.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have the Holbrook Device in two of my Garands that I shoot matches with. I'm right handed but have to shoot as a lefty because of a bad eye. It was too awkward for me to try and load the enblocs while in position left handed. It does give you a false sense of security though. Still need to be careful while cleaning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the fact that it operates like the M14, and that I can load 1 or 8 rds. Just seems to cycle better to me.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I'm thinking of buying one!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I always thought the thumb saving feature was not actually using your thumb?

He's had that out for a long time. Good stuff.

Man I want a .308 Garand in the worst sort a way....

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I've never had a problem with catching my thumb by the bolt, but the modification seems to more easily allow single loading, which would be handy for Service Rifle competition. I use a sled now for slow fire prone, but this should do the trick for single loading up to eight rounds...some places have restrictions on how many you have loaded for hunting, for example, if you are allowed only five rounds in a magazine.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I have a .308 Garand on the way to me, should be here tomorrow! Jon Wolfe built it for me.GI6

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always thought the thumb saving feature was not actually using your thumb?

He's had that out for a long time. Good stuff.

I've never had a problem with slamming the bolt closed on my thumb, I just like the fact it operates like an M14 and I don't have to chase the clip around, plus single loading is a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've been lucky enough to know John causally for the last 20 years. A real gentleman. Most of us can learn a few things from him when it comes to Garand’s and 1911’s. I’ve used the “thumb saver in my Garands for a few years now and prefer them this way. Since there’s no permanent change made to the rifle your not putting the value of it at risk. Johns no spring chicken these days. If your thinking that you might want one of these you might want to invest in it sooner than later. I have no financial interest with this product. It’s just that I’ve been around long enough to have seen a lot of good things disappear from the market place once the maker decides to retire or otherwise is no longer around.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
John, what kind of support is that? You're killing me!!!LOL
I'll show you a picture of it, maybe today, if the UPS man shows up!GI6 I don't want to seem to be rubbing it in!GITEN

·
Registered
14 Posts
SARCO has the 7.62 kits. I built one a year or 2 ago

The barrel is like new... they are a pretty good deal if you have receiver laying around.

some places have restrictions on how many you have loaded for hunting, for example, if you are allowed only five rounds in a magazine.
I picked up a couple of 5rd clips because of this. I assume they would work with the thumbsavers as well.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have never seen anything like this. I always use my right hand in front of the charging handle and once caught the end of my thumb. Still, it looks like I'll be getting a couple for my girls! .308 and 06.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Received my first real M1 thumb two weeks ago. My thumbnail is still black. I've had a Holbrook "Thumb Saver" sitting in my gun locker for over a year. I am now motivated to install it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm a lefty and have zero issues shooting Garand matches or xtc. A right hander told me he didn't know how he'd do it left handed and I replied, that's because you're right handed. I admire and respect John Holbrook, but his device is not useful to me. If others find it useful, that's great!

·
Registered
398 Posts
To add, in a match there are two magazine changes, why would I want to add another step in the loading process? It would be nice for the two round load, but that's not on the clock so I don't need it. If you hunt it makes not a bit of difference, unless you fire a whole clip! I think its designed to mimic an M14 and that's a shame because the M14 lost the speedy reload feature of the M1.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts