M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alright. This is what I bought today. Looks like she has been drug around the block a few times. Then some jackass polished the tube. The barrel has been replaced and is blued. I haven't cleaned the barrel inside. But, the rifling looks strong with a measurement of 2. Some minor pitting on the receiver. Action is smooth.

What I want out of this gun: I wish to plink with it a bit and display it. Gonna make a display of the soldiers rifles of WWII. This was the last one I needed. I have the Enfield, Mauser, Mosin, Type-99 and now the M1.

I have two options open to me I suppose. One, do it the inexpensive way and use a paint to replicate the finish I want. Or two send it out to have a nice parker finish restored.

I am leaning to do it right. Just worried about tolerances and messing up the great trigger it has.

What is the average cost to do it. I am gonna start looking locally.

I am gonna redo the stock. A light refinish job. Just a little more pleasing to the eye.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
+1 for going the right way, and reparkerizing it. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have some of the critical areas gauged, too (headspace, op rod tab & piston, receiver bridge, etc). If it's going to be in a display, it should look right, IMO. I'll bet with a little work that stock will look pretty good, too. Have fun!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. It is completely in pieces now. The only thing not taken off is the barrel. Even took the bands off the wood. It is all going to be dropped off Tuesday at lunch. The Smith is doing a batch on Thursday and he will add mine to the mix. $120 including the stainless blackening. Wasn't sure if I could figure out how to take it down.

But, I did. Now I just hope I can get it back together. Feeling pretty good.

I was thinking for the stock to wash it with a bucket of soapy water and a plastic scrub brush. There is years of caked up crap in there.

Then a sanding with a high grit paper. For some reason I am thinking lin seed oil for the protection.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just used a little mineral spirits on a rag to clean off surface tack/cosmo from mine this last week per Mercman's recommendation. He seems not to like the soap and water technique, though I am sure these stocks have seen worse.

It did pick up a lot of gunk on the rag and seems to keep the general aged look of the wood and not raise any grain. I plan on going with pure tung oil (not Minwax finish or any other "finish" titled product) for a good protective layer. Everyone seems to agree that keeps in line with original finishes and I was lucky enough to have a specialty wood shop around that had the real stuff.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Another method of getting cosmoline out of wood is to wrap your stock in paper towels and then put it in a black plastic garbage bag and place it in the sun (maybe on the dash of your vehicle). As it heats up cosmoline will 'sweat' out of the stock.

I'm not partial to the 'dishwasher' method of cleaning stocks, although it works for some. That method requires a complete sanding and refinishing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this is what I am dealing with. I took it all apart. Including metal of wood. Only thing not taken off is the barrel. Dropped it off for a refinish at lunch.

While I was there the Smith did some checking before I split. Throat erosion just under 3. The bolt almost closes on a no go guage. Swapped bolts and found one that puts it almost middle of the road.

He noticed a little wear on the op rod and said he will check to make sure the barrel is timed right. If not. That will help my head spacing. Very nice guy. If he doesn't charge me a little extra for the checking. He is getting a tip. Should be done this weekend.
Now, the stock. Ok, I am gonna see if I can pick up some spirits and scrub it that way. And see what type of finish they have and go with it.

In the end. I will have a rifle that looks pretty good and should be a nice shooter. Although, I won't shoot it alot. That's what the M1A is for.

On a side note. I have not delt with guns that have shot corrosive ammo. DO they all show a little pitting? I have a CETME G-3 clone. It shows a little as well. Or I just baby my guns.lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am done with the stock. Tung oil. I used a odorless mineral spirits to clean. Then, I decided I needed to get it wet to raise some dings. Soaked it twice and sanded once dry with 800 grit. Just to smooth it out some.

Leaving the larger dents and dings. Coated it twice with the tung oil. Used a scotch bright pad to take the shine off. Now, it is drying. Can't wait to get the gun together.

Meeting a guy and buying 340 30/06 rounds. Supposed to be M2? Korean era. Meeting at a local gun show.So, I will try to find some clips.

Just plain excited. GI1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Without further a do. I finally got the M1 together. I ended up with a extra spring when I put it together. Racked my brain. Where did it come from.. Figured it out. It was the smaller spring from the bolt.

I ended up cracking the top wood piece next to the receiver. Not bad. But, I know I did it. I will end up getting a different stock at some point. It was really beat up. The park finish came out good. A light spot on the back of the receiver. But, hey. It is not gonna be perfect. Just wanted it to look better than being naked.

The M14 has a nice new scope mounted up It's an Elite 4200 Busnell. Can't wait to get both to the range. I know I will have to zero both.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Nice job! It looks very good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! At somepoint. I want to get a nicer stock. Wouldn't mind rebarreling it. It did guage out just over 3 at the breach and just over 2 at the muzzle. The barrel on it was two degrees off. So, that was fixed. But, I have what I wanted. It looks nice and it does work.

The M14 is gonna be my shooter. Very interesting scope. Has firefly cross hairs. Very clear glass as well.

RNGR2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
If that's a post-WW II USGI stock that's already been sanded anyway on your Garand, so as to remove the DAS and Proof stamps, it won't hurt anything to refinish it any way you want. New wood might not fit as well as what you own.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, Update. I have made the framing and almost finished with the backing of the display. Ran out of wood that I need. I need a certain type of palet wood to match. Still unsure if I want to do the ammo crate look or not. I think it might look cool. Have the cover look like a busted crate case cover. Basically jaged wood around the edges. Or do a clear cover.

It is 4 and a half feet wide and 4 foot tall. I will make supports for the guns. I also just purchased a 1911 Springfield milspec version and I will put it with the M1 someway. I would love to do it for all the counties. But, money is a issue.lol.

I have ammo for each rifle. The Type 99 and the Enfield rifles I have may be scrapped and other rifles bought. Maybe to extensive of sporting mods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.