M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, perhaps someone with more experience than I can help me solve this problem. Recently I was target shooting with my M1, on the 3rd and the 5th shot the charging handle came off the rail and siezed the gun. I was able the first and second time to jerk the handle back and slap it forward as a quick fix but I want to prevent this from happening again...any thoughts?

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
Sounds like the tab may be worn out. What loads are you using? Hand loads? What grain bullets? If the tab is worn out you can have the tab welded or built up and then machined back to spec.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Does it pass the tilt test? I have found two operating rods that had the bend out of spec and were causing binding in the bolt area. I had the op rod jump the ttack and leave the fired brass in the chamber.

I sent the rod out to Columbus Machaine for repair and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you who responded to my question, as far as ammo it happens with both hunting loads and spitzer FMJ rounds. I did replace the rod some time back that may be the culprit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you using real slow gunpowder in those loads? I had the same thing happen a long time ago when I tried using my heavy hunting loads stuffed to the manual maximum of IMR 4350.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.