M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When one glances at a M1 or an M14 bolt, they seem to be very similar in size, shape, design, etc.

I carried both in the Navy, . . . shot em, . . . cleaned em, . . . but it has been too long, . . . old memory doesn't tell me what I want to know.

My question is, if you were building a dummy gun, would a bolt from an M1 slip into an M14 receiver?

And if so, . . . would it cycle if you pulled the op rod? I don't have to cycle ammo or anything, . . . just go back and forth.

Thanks for the info.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
966 Posts
I am pretty sure the M1 Garand bolt is longer, and the M14 has a roller where the M1 bolt does not. So I do not think they will interchange even in a dummy gun.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Won't work. If you just want something for a stage prop or re-enactment, look around the web for a retired, welded-up Garand parade rifle cheap.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
welds

Funny you should mention that BD, Dwight and me were just discussing the legal ramifications of welding up an M14 two halves to use in a dummy set-up.....wonder if the lug were cut off, it would be legal....anyone know...this would not be a working M14 rifle , just a casing or empty shell of the former housing for asthetic looks.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Funny you should mention that BD, Dwight and me were just discussing the legal ramifications of welding up an M14 two halves to use in a dummy set-up.....wonder if the lug were cut off, it would be legal....anyone know...this would not be a working M14 rifle , just a casing or empty shell of the former housing for asthetic looks.
DO NOT WELD TOGETHER A M14 RECEIVER, unless you want a visit from the BATFE. Contact the BATFE to see what is required to make what you want legally, and get it in writing. Never, ever, return a full auto weapon receiver to any condition unless you know what you are doing and have the proper license.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Thanks for the response David, and I know all that,..... what I meant,... what if he could get a rear half from Sarco from a TRW, say..and a front half from an HR...with a piece cut out of the middle of say....3/4 of an inch,...then put back together with lug removed and unable to hold a proper bolt...what do you think ?.....I would think they would be demilled still... ehh ?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Wouldn't offend me but an agent could argue it's "restorable" to function as NFA firearrm, which taints all the functional parts under a strict reading of the law.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the native Americans had a word for all that: UGH !!

Ah, well, . . . it was just a thought, . . . and at this point it certainly is not worth pursuing.

Thanks for the info guys, . . . I kinda figured as much on the bolt, . . . but had no idea on the legal stuff. That makes being a part of forums like this even more important.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Thanks for the response David, and I know all that,..... what I meant,... what if he could get a rear half from Sarco from a TRW, say..and a front half from an HR...with a piece cut out of the middle of say....3/4 of an inch,...then put back together with lug removed and unable to hold a proper bolt...what do you think ?.....I would think they would be demilled still... ehh ?
Do What? I give up Rip, why would you even want to do this? Inquiring minds want to know! GI3

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Yep, we stole a thread.

1. Nope Garand bolt is longer, and no roller will fit.

2. The ATF are idiots. The legal conversion of a M14 to civ spec should have been that the leg that enables FA just be cut off. Instant semi only weapon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep, M1 bolt will fit in M14, just tried it, I was supprised. Op rod works OK, bolt even goes back enough to pick up a round, hammer will not work bolt too long.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Do What? I give up Rip, why would you even want to do this? Inquiring minds want to know! GI3
Ok, buddy....I didn't want to spill the beans and it is not my place to do so.....but we are looking for a cheap receiver, like sarco's ...to use for an outside dummy covering for another rifle , hidden inside it, but that looks like an M14 outside in every way.....stock and all.......yes, a functioning shooter.....22 maybe.....why ? because then you would not only have a conversation piece, but something to practice your drills and skills for competition with, that closely weighs and feels like what you will shoot, at a mere fraction of the cost of .308 ammo......sorry Dwight....had to fill em in so they didn't think I was nuts...LOL.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts