M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about M1 Garands. I want to buy one. I know about the CMP, and I also have one on hold at a local shop. I took some pictures and looked for markings on it.

This is the picture of the heel marking.

And the bolt face.

On the right side of the sight adjustment it says "DRC"

When the op rod is pulled back, on the barrel it says "SA 6535448 12 65 MD53"

I had a friend check the "throat size" I believe he said, and I forgot what numbers or measurements he used but he said it was a long way before they re-barrel them at the CMP. I also believe this is a CMP Garand rebuild.

The Op rod is black if that makes a difference.

Now I want one but I don't mind looking around or waiting. The asking price is $625.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
751 Posts
That's not unreasonable for a WWII vintage Springfield M1. It's a comparable price to the Civilian Marksmanship Program "Service Grade" rifles, which sell for a little over $600, once you add the shipping costs.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Go with the CMP...every rifle is inspected before sale and delivery. Can't go wrong....and if your wondering, this is my Service Grade M1 Garand I bought through the CMP for $599. Trust me man, when it comes to Garands, it's well worth the wait. You WILL NOT be disappointed. Plus with one's you find at local gun stores, you never know what could be wrong with it that you can't see...and if the throat or muzzle wear is more than +3, good chance it won't be a shooter...Mine was TE +1 and MW+1...I hit steel at 700 yards iron sights with mine...no modification, nothing magical...those guys at the CMP have their stuff together!!!

<Sapp>

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
you didn't give any overall pics, so its hard to see condition.. But it looks, from the pics, to be in Field Grade Condition.. been rebuilt a time or two, rebarreled, and we can't see the crown but $625 doesn't sound unreasonable.. If you can, go to the SS or NS and pic one out..

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I need to make a correction to my post, I said TE+1 and MW+1...I double checked my tag to make sure after the post.....+2 on the throat and +1 on the Muzzle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go with the CMP...every rifle is inspected before sale and delivery. Can't go wrong....and if your wondering, this is my Service Grade M1 Garand I bought through the CMP for $599. Trust me man, when it comes to Garands, it's well worth the wait. You WILL NOT be disappointed. Plus with one's you find at local gun stores, you never know what could be wrong with it that you can't see...and if the throat or muzzle wear is more than +3, good chance it won't be a shooter...Mine was TE +1 and MW+1...I hit steel at 700 yards iron sights with mine...no modification, nothing magical...those guys at the CMP have their stuff together!!!

<Sapp>

Real nice Garand....Like the wood grain pattern on your stock.

·
Registered
678 Posts
$625 is a good price but if I were a first time Garand buyer I would get one from the CMP. That way you aren't buying something that was put together in someones garage with a re-welded receiver.

I've purchased a few from the CMP and have been very happy with what I've received.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Captain Bob Badfish.......now that I am looking at your photo of your collection, and not to highjack this post (Sorry OP), any chance of you ever selling me one of those carbines? Sadly I can say I didn't become a member until 6 months after they stopped selling carbines and now they are "auction only" and usually go waaaaaay out of my price range. Help an M14forums buddy out!!! LOL Please let me know.
<Sapp>

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
SAPPNASTY: you should look at the CMP Forum, they come up for sale, but go pretty fast. There was a NPM on today for $625 and sold.. I was able to pick up 2 service grades when they were for sale, and I should have bought more.. The same thing happened a few years back when the Army dumped their last supplies of bolt guns and they had like new, and rebuilt like new 1903a3s in the rack and I only bought one..

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
What I'm hoping and praying for is that they one day offer m1as...think it' ever happen?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.