M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won an auction on GB for a NIW Springfield Armory M1 Garand bolt; however, it wasn't apparent to me at the time that this bolt ships from Bulgaria. Does anyone know if this is legal for me to receive this from overseas?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I have bought many assorted parts from him, he is good to go. Many on the CMP forum have also bought from him.
I'm no legal expert but I think its is fine as long as you arent buying a receiver .
I would also think the seller not the buyer is the one taking the risk if something wasnt right

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I don't know if there's any law involved, but if it's coming from Stoneflint, he ships a lot of parts in to U.S. purchasers from Serbia or wherever he is. Congratulations.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if there's any law involved, but if it's coming from Stoneflint, he ships a lot of parts in to U.S. purchasers from Serbia or wherever he is. Congratulations.
That is him. Nice guy but here is what ATF emailed me about importing a firearm part for personal use:

"Download Form 5330.3A at www.atf.gov and submit it in triplicate. This should be listed in the implements of war section. Category 1A. After the permit is approved, it must be presented to U.S. Customs for release
of the bolt.call our office at 304-616-4550 for further information."

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would not do it.....

The ATF are not your friends. Just look what they did to that guy in WI with a AR15 that malfunctioned (and he was in the NG). That guy got 3 years in jail because ATF wanted to prove something. All these guys saying that the problem is not yours, it's the shippers, are (Friends, that I am sure would pay for all your legal fees and pay your mortage when you lose you job from being locked up for a few years) Right??? How much money will it cost you in legal fees if you get caught? Not worth it my friend.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.as per ATF : since this part was made by the US Military (Springfield Armory circa WWII) and exported, it requires me to get re-transfer authorization from the Department of State. Once I get the re-transfer authorization, I need to send a request to ATF for an import permit, then once ATF issues me a permit I have to comply with US Customs requirements....LMFAO. Needless to say I won't be getting any parts from overseas...

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Any item that was military property has to be imported with a license and a long series of clearances. Those that are purchasing military parts overseas without being approved, are risking going to Federal Prison. The shipper overseas cannot be prosecuted by the US. The receiver can.

This myth has been going on for years that it is OK to send and receiver military items from foreign countries. The only way is to get approval which can vary, depending upon the type of item.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Isn't it funny how saving a few dollars can cost so much. It is so much safer to follow the safe route. Many an honest man has gone to jail for not being informed. Any judge will tell you that ignorance of the law is not excuse.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Many do not understand the law. They use Company xyz as an example. They sent overseas many M1 hammers and other parts. But what they do not know is the company had an export license which got approved, or sent current reproductions which were not covered by the law.

There are others that say there is a 100.00 dollar exemption. That is for many commercial items, not military equipment.

According to the law all military equipment is defined as "Instruments of War".

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If the law is passed, it will cover those rifles and carbines from Korea. That does not mean you or I can import parts from Korea or any other country. It does not mean we can ship or receive from outside the US without getting approval.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I found out there is a left over law from the 1994 - 2004 AWB that still requires all magazines over 10 rounds, both commercial and military have to have a permit to import them. While finding this out I also found out the "permit" is free of charge for private people, non-commercial. There are no restrictions on the permit, just that one is required. It doesn't seem difficult to get as I know somebody that ordered magazines from overseas and customs/ATF contacted him and asked him to apply for a permit so he could receive the magazines they were holding. He did and he got them. He wasn't charged with trying to dodge the import laws.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts