M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been brought up before, but the searches I did for "hunting ammo" really didn't turn up a definitive answer.

I noticed that CMP is now including a flyer for Black Hills ammo with each M1 they ship. What can people share with me regarding the suitability of the Black Hills Gold ammo for deer and hog hunting with my M1 "Tanker"? I do have the Schuster's adjustable gas nut with which to tune the gas system for best groups for different loads.

I've heard good things about both the Barnes-X bullet and the Nosler Partition. I'm looking for good penetration and controlled expansion to knock down the big piney woods rooters we have down here. I see that Black Hills offers the .30-06 with the Barnes in 180 grain and the Nosler in 165 and 150 grain loads. Any suggestions? Thanks.

flcracker

·
Registered
42 Posts
IMO, the best hunting/target ammo is Winchester's 165gr moly coated silver tip load. I was getting sub 1/2" from it in my bolt 308 and 3006. I hadn't bought my Garand yet, but the load is really accurate, so it should get the job done!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A fellow at Bruce Dow's shop today suggested the 165 gr Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip. He said that he feels that the Black Hills runs hot.

Since he didn't have any Winchester on the shelf to sell me, and he DID have the Black Hills, I figgered this might be a decent tip. He asked me to call back to talk to Bruce before making a decision. Honest fellow.

Still waiting for Warbird or any other of our amorers to chime in.

flcracker

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Well, I've used Federal premium and Winchester with very good results.
Both in 150 & 165gr.
Even the std. grade ammo worked well.
Don't know about Black hills but, that should be good also.
Read the box and see what the bullet velocity is.
If it's around 2550-2650 fps you'll be good to go.
Any faster would be too hot for the M1 and may be considered a light magnum load.
HTH

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Warbird! Just the kind of information I was looking for.

flcracker

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't just go by velocity. If the ammo is loaded with powder with the burning rate too slow for the garand's gas system, you could still damage your rifle because of the port pressure.

Volumes have been written about this and I don't really feel like getting into an arguement over this...again. If you have the adjustable gas plug, you should be fine. Just turn the plug all the way out and then tighten it until the rifle functions 100%. You shouldn't harm your rifle with any hunting ammo (except possibly the light magmun ammo), if you have the plug properly adjusted.

If you have any other questions, e-mail or IM me and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. Especially first-hand experience with specific brands and loads. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Volumes have been written about this and I don't really feel like getting into an arguement over this...again.
Unfortunately, that is what 90% of what I found on this subject has been - volumes of arguments. That is why I asked a direct and specific question - no-one was invited to an argument in this thread. Thanks again for your responses.

flcracker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.