M14 Forum banner

M1 Garand ejected cases

874 3
My CMP Garand appears to be in unfired condition (received 1991). After firing, each round has a scratch 1/16" x 1/4" shaped like a half moon on the case head. It may be from the ejector but the ejector appears to move in against the spring! Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me diagnose the problem. Otherwise it shoots like a dream!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
John,

Same deal here with a '53 HRA. A crescent shape on the brass after firing. I am about to send it to Warbird for some tender loving care and include some fired brass to see what he thinks. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's from the extractor when, during loading, the extractor snaps over the case head, slightly bending the rim of the case. I believe that this is what you are refering to. Some of my M1 do this also, some don't. I think it depends on the brass.

I see a lot of this when firing Korean brass. I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry if the rim was being bent backwards towards the bolt, instead of towards the chamber. If the rim is being bent backwards, it could be an indicationb of high pressures.

A picture would be nice.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
colt100 said:
I would worry if the rim was being bent backwards towards the bolt, instead of towards the chamber. If the rim is being bent backwards, it could be an indicationb of high pressures.
This would indicate a tight or dirty chamber, not high pressures.
I would also clean the extractor hook with a tooth brush as dirt in the extractor hook could cause this when the extractor is trying to seat.

A high "primer" would indicate high pressures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.