M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum because I'm planning to buy a M14 made by Luxdeftec.

I'm currently owning a 1943 Springfield made M1 Garand which was re-barreled to 308 in Germany back in 2003

The rifle works fine so far but what annoys me really badly is the fact the the rifles throws the spent cases into my right eye, I'm a lefty by the way.

After some reading in forums I cut of 3 coils of the ejector spring which helps a lot but not 100%.
Most of the spent case land at 1-2 o´clock sometimes at 11-12 o'clock but the last one and maybe one in the middle are ejecting to the 5 o'clock position. What can I do to prevent the rifle from ejecting into my eye.

I read that shortening the ejector just a little bit or changing the angle could help, but how to do that?

I also observed that the rifling is gone around 1/2 inch behind the muzzle. Is this due to a lot of shooting from the previous owner or maybe from bad cleaning habits?

Cheers
Paaly

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Long time LH shooter of Right Hand Rifles. i have yet to have been hit by a case shooting M1 30-06, M1 308 , M1a
One thing I do to every M1 or M1a when i get it "new to me" is replace all the springs , ejector and extractor.
unless it looks really really good
I asked a old Marine Armorer about ejection patterns on garands and M1a.
i asked "what should the ejection patterns look like" he smiled and said "are the cases ejecting?" I say " yeah"
He says "thats a good pattern"
I find with my mild reloads the cases pile up nice around 2oc

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum because I'm planning to buy a M14 made by Luxdeftec.

I'm currently owning a 1943 Springfield made M1 Garand which was re-barreled to 308 in Germany back in 2003

The rifle works fine so far but what annoys me really badly is the fact the the rifles throws the spent cases into my right eye, I'm a lefty by the way.

After some reading in forums I cut of 3 coils of the ejector spring which helps a lot but not 100%.
Most of the spent case land at 1-2 o´clock sometimes at 11-12 o'clock but the last one and maybe one in the middle are ejecting to the 5 o'clock position. What can I do to prevent the rifle from ejecting into my eye.

I read that shortening the ejector just a little bit or changing the angle could help, but how to do that?

I also observed that the rifling is gone around 1/2 inch behind the muzzle. Is this due to a lot of shooting from the previous owner or maybe from bad cleaning habits?

Cheers
Paaly
Buy a Schuster adjustable gas plug!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lol what for?

30-06 garands don't need them and 308s for sure don't need them at all ..

The issue with the ejection pattern is the ejector spring is made for the weight of the 30-06 case. The 308 is lighter and it throws the brass faster so that the oprod never gets to "bump" it forward where it belongs.

So trimming the spring 2-3 coils slows the 308 case enough for the oprod to hit it...

It's really that simple and nothing to overthink.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Lol what for?

30-06 garands don't need them and 308s for sure don't need them at all ..

The issue with the ejection pattern is the ejector spring is made for the weight of the 30-06 case. The 308 is lighter and it throws the brass faster so that the oprod never gets to "bump" it forward where it belongs.

So trimming the spring 2-3 coils slows the 308 case enough for the oprod to hit it...

It's really that simple and nothing to overthink.
It can redirect brass by reducing gas cylinder/op rod pressures. I have one on my M1 and M1A. I also shrunk my group sizes in half. I am not kidding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The already bought the schuster
if there is zero rifling close to muzzle it may have been counterbored
Good point and I already checked what counterbored mean but unfortunately it is just normal wear. If it would be counterbored I would expect a defined step 1/2 inch or so behind the muzzle crown.

I do hope you are wearing safety glasses to protect your eyes.
I'm wearing glasses all the time but unfortunately not safety glasses all the time :( But after the first impact of a spent case I switched to safety glasses when shooting the M1

Already bought one from brownells but it didn't made a difference. I tried to slow down the action with the plug to reduce wear and tear on my little lady and to change the pattern of course but in the end the ejection pattern was still violent to the 5 o'clock position but every 2nd round was a short stroke.

paaly

·
Registered
378 Posts
Get rid of the adjustable gas gadget.

It's not needed on 30-06 rifles on most certainly not needed at all on 7.62 rifles.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,178 Posts
It's possible that there is just not enough gas pressure to allow the bolt to cycle fast enough which would result in brass being ejected backward. I had some new .308 barrels that had the same problem and found the gas port was undersized. Government .308 barrels for the M1 were made with gas ports as large as .105", but I found that .096 seems to work well and results in the brass being ejected at 1 or 2 o'clock. The barrel being counter bored could be part of the problem or it could have excessive wear in the gas cylinder or gas piston or all three.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's possible that there is just not enough gas pressure to allow the bolt to cycle fast enough which would result in brass being ejected backward. I had some new .308 barrels that had the same problem and found the gas port was undersized. Government .308 barrels for the M1 were made with gas ports as large as .105", but I found that .096 seems to work well and results in the brass being ejected at 1 or 2 o'clock. The barrel being counter bored could be part of the problem or it could have excessive wear in the gas cylinder or gas piston or all three.
mine measures between 0.091 and 0.95 and without the schuster plug it cycles fine and reliable.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thats not “worn” to any point it will have any impact on your ejection. Heck the gas port is not even worn.
Have you replaced all your springs in your rifle.
I dont have any real proof but when I do a complete spring replacement on my garands I feel and hear them cycling better , smoother more like a nice machine.
I do the complete rifle of all springs along with a bolt rebuild
While your at so far every M1 I have torn down has had a loose lower band , replacing the pin helps alot to snug it up

been getting these with every new to me M1

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,178 Posts
The obvious answer is to dump the Schuster gas plug unless it doesn't alter the ejection pattern. Opening up the gas port is usually the last thing one wants to do, but if you do that go with small steps, not more than .002" at a time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts