M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the classic WWII weapons. I also refuse to own a rifle that I cant regularly shoot. I am in the market for an M1 Carbine. I have the opportunity to pick up a very nice '43 M1C, 3 mags, pouch, bayonet for about $700. I dont like the stock, so I was considering getting one from Deans Guns and have it fitted.

After some thought, it seems I may be better off just picking up a Fulton Armory rebuilt model. Those are about $1,400 though. Upside it its reparkerized, re-stocked, re-barreled....ect. I could shoot it all day and not worry.

Or, just find a well used M1C on the CMP forum or the like, and have Dean rebuild the whole thing to new (basically)

Sugguestions on what to do?

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
I cant tell you which one to grab but if you do happen to get one you plan on rebuilding look up a company called Satern Barrels. He is making me a cut rifled barrel for my shot out carbine. You will pay a little more but it will show where it counts on paper.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A friend has an Inland carbine from the CMP. I got down behind the trigger and put 16 rounds inside two inches at 50 yards with Remington FMJ the first time out.

Some of the little carbines will shoot! That's about as good as you can expect from those little guys.

I picked up an Iver Johnson commercial carbine and ordered a hammer forged Criterion barrel from Midway USA. Those barrels are currently on closeout for $147!

The I-J and Plainfield commercial carbines are built around GI parts. They can be some good cheap carbines. Since I wanted a truck gun I took this route and left the costly GI carbines to the collectors.
In fact, I just got my M2 GI stock in for the gun today. It's sitting beside me waiting patiently for me to take it out for some exercise tonight.

·
Registered
403 Posts
hmmm, Your post threw me for a minute. I got a 43' "Postal Meter"
and I would shoot the snot out of it. Never crossed my mind that I would "hurt" it. Personally, I like the GI models and should you "shoot out" the barrel. There are replacement barrels out there. Vintage GI as well as
aftermarket replacements. I say pick one! and enjoy!

Bob R

PS if you find some "cheap" .30 carbine out there let me know

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
A friend has an Inland carbine from the CMP. I got down behind the trigger and put 16 rounds inside two inches at 50 yards with Remington FMJ the first time out.

Some of the little carbines will shoot! That's about as good as you can expect from those little guys.

I picked up an Iver Johnson commercial carbine and ordered a hammer forged Criterion barrel from Midway USA. Those barrels are currently on closeout for $147!

The I-J and Plainfield commercial carbines are built around GI parts. They can be some good cheap carbines. Since I wanted a truck gun I took this route and left the costly GI carbines to the collectors.
In fact, I just got my M2 GI stock in for the gun today. It's sitting beside me waiting patiently for me to take it out for some exercise tonight.

Pssshhhhhhhhh...... GI2

Post up some pics when shes all purdy again.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
1943 GI Carbine w/mags, pouch and bayo for $700 is a GOOD BUY!!! IIRC, I paid almost $600 for a '43 Underwood only from the CMP when they had Carbines. The only things to worry about that Carbine would be a shot-out barrel and worn parts (bolt, fire control). If you are handy with firearms, all except the barrel & bolt can be easily replaced by you with minimal cost. Good used stocks are available from many sources on-line as well as new stocks (be aware that most new stocks may require fitting to ensure reliable operation). James River and Fulton Armory re-builds are nice, BUT the resale value of one would not be what you paid for it due to the fact it would be a shooter only, not a collectable due to its altered state (new commercial barrel, re-parkerized, possible non-GI parts). Whereas a GI in good condition will only increase in value due to the demand for un-altered GI Carbines in the secondary/collectable market.
The purchase of a commercial copy of the Carbine is hit and miss as well. Iver Johnson, Universal, Plainfield and others may be OK depending on when the rifle was made. Early production rifles had commercial receivers and all other parts were GI (except maybe the stock). These are the ones that are almost as reliable as GI, but DO NOT purchase later production rifles as the quality control and parts quality were very bad. The new Auto-Ordinance Carbines have also had reliability issues, so I would be leery of them as well.
Bottom-line: If the carbine is in good shape, shoots well (2-4 inches at 50 yards), reliable and seems to be un-altered, get it checked by a 'smith and if it checks out OK: buy it. If it's not what you wanted or expected, you'll have no problem selling it for what you paid for it or more. Just remember that they're not making GI carbines anymore.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Buy the GI carbine and shoot it all day long.
You can find a better GI stock and put it on yourself, or a CMP stock or a Deans. It depends really on how much $$$ you have to spend on the project and what you want it to look like in the end (rougher GI look or show piece look).
In my experience the fitting of the carbine stock is very easy and it's not like a Garand where you can make significant accuracy improvements by ensuring stock fit.
I have several carbines and strangely accuracy is difficult to predict. My MW=0 gun with a great fitting M2 stock will not shoot as well as another MW ~2 M1 version. So don't immediately discount the barrel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This bad boy? Good point.

Well, I decided to pick up the Carbine. I'll shoot it until I decide if I want to keep shooting it, or buy a rebuild and wear IT out.

Gents, your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
569 Posts
This group was fired with my 1945 mfg. Inland rack grade. The bore is pitted, but the muzzle is still fairly tight. This 30 shot group was with a 30 round mag, and rapid fired from a rest, at 60 yards. I was test firing it for function, and was very surprised at the accuracy. The flyers were the last 5-6 rounds, maybe because the barrel got warm. The stock is "well used". The metal finish is about 50% worn off, and it is my house/truck go-to gun. It is a CMP rifle. I'm going to do EXACTLY NOTHING to it--it's my most accurate carbine--if it works, don't fix it, IMO.
Charlie

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pssshhhhhhhhh...... GI2

Post up some pics when shes all purdy again.
How's this for ya?

This isn't Glamour Shots but it's the best I could do at the moment. The new Criterion barrel is in place as is the M2 stock. I have not reamed the chamber yet. That's why the front sight is not installed.

Once I get my new glasses I'll finish the assembly. I managed to kill my old glasses the other day and while I'm not blind I'd prefer to not do precision work until my vision is corrected.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.