M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I can't tell what this marking means on the lower right of my picture. I don't know if it is a single mark, or a combination of several. The rifle is a CMP Garand, with the serial indicating the receiver was made in late 1944, with a 6-45 barrel. The picture is of the top of the barrel. It looks to have been through an arsenal update once, with almost no wear on the throat and muzzle. Any ideas please shoot!GI2

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be cool, but I don't know if that was still in effect by 1944+. It's not the usual British proof mark that was applied by importers during later years. It's also not a marking (and there are no other markings on the rifle) that would indicate a commonwealth country used it as a martial arm. The well worn stock I bought it in seemed to have GI rack numbers painted on the top handguard and pistol grip, although they are barely readable. I thought it looked like a crown myself, but I have no idea who would have put it there....

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Well, I'm not so sure. I see a crossed cannon cartouche and a '66' which may mean that year of manufacture. I do know that there were a few US manufactures of barrels for the M1 like Marlin and High Standard. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me will come along, like say, Bill Ricca?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Any barrel date with S.A./C or F,O,R,S,T and W in any serial number range typically indicates an Arsenal Repair/Rebuild. Looks like an "R" overstruck with another symbol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any barrel date with S.A./C or F,O,R,S,T and W in any serial number range typically indicates an Arsenal Repair/Rebuild. Looks like an "R" overstruck with another symbol.
Thanks, I didn't know about the FORSTW markings. Makes sense now GI7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts